CbB for Linux

"Most computers." "42% of web devices." Etc, etc. This is a prime example of what my wife calls "technical truth." In other words, paltering.

While technically true that smartphones, servers, IOT devices and gaming consoles are in fact computers, using that definition is misleading and in the case of our religious zealot OP, intentionally so. But it really isn't an answer that facilitates clear communication.

Most people, when you say "computer," call to mind a box sitting on your desk with a monitor and keyboard attached to it; a desktop or laptop PC. Even those who know that their smartphone and the PCM (powertrain control module) in their car are also technically computers.

So, in the real world this is what the figures really look like:

Screenshot_20230623-143941_1.png.efd4bba6d82e949c240410f0b6d2328d.png

Even for those who "know better."

• Like 2

i had to look it up in order to eschew obfuscation:

VERB paltering (present participle)
        equivocate or prevaricate in action or speech:

"if you palter or double in your answers, I will have thee hung alive in an iron chain"

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Although I know it's useless to use facts and logic to change an opinion that wasn't formed using facts and logic, let's check out how Linux has fared in the desktop market in the past 5 years.

In Jan 2018, Linux had a 1.69% share of the market. OSX had 12.8%, and Windows 82.68%

In Jan 2023 Linux had a 2.91% share, OSX had 15.33%, and Windows 74.14%

So in the past 5 years, Linux has gained 1.22%, OSX a (surprising, way to go Apple) 2.53% gain, and Windows has dropped 8.54%

Not exactly a tidal wave. 

Speaking of which, one of the things I've noticed about people with irrational beliefs is that they often preach that there is an impending cataclysmic event or shift of some kind that will elevate those who think and act as they do to a superior status. This will be their reward for whatever deprivations they are suffering now (with Linux loonies, the deprivation is usually lack of software choices and hardware support).

"You'll see! Just wait! You won't be laughing 5 years from now!"

The thing is, it's trivial. If, 5 years from now there's been some breakthrough that actually does make Linux a superior platform (and that would need to include core audio functionality similar to Microsoft's and Apple's), and software vendors are supporting it as well as they do Windows, then there could be a reason to switch.

I use my computers to make music, browse the web, and play games. When they no longer do that to my satisfaction, I change them. By adding storage, changing to a more powerful CPU or graphics card, switching to different software to perform those functions, a different audio interface, or whatever. When there is a compelling reason. Not one that I fantasize about happening in the future, but WHEN it's necessary.

All the pieces are subject to change, including the OS if one more suited to my tasks comes along. Hasn't yet. I'm just not that emotionally attached to computer parts, including the software. I have some odd quirks about what I use; I still prefer Firewire, so I bought a new-in-box Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I don't annoy people with how much "better" my interface is because Firewire 400 is an asynchronous bus-mastered protocol and USB 2.0 is serial, and nobody wags their finger at me or tries to convince me that soon Microsoft will end support for Firewire on Windows so I better drop it and get a USB one. I still have an optical drive and use it, nobody chides me about CD's being obsolete.

Who even cares about this crap? This OS wars thing is so 90's. Use what you use and leave others to do their thing. As much as I'd love to have Garage Band available on Windows so that I could recommend it to DAW beginner friends, I don't go to Garage Band forums and drone about how I think Apple should make a Windows version and tell the people that they should switch to Windows before Apple forces their systems into obsolescence. I'd love to have iMessage on my Windows desktop like I do on my Mac. But I can't, and I understand why. No whining, no weenie-waving. I just use the stuff I do have and get on with it.

I've also learned that fanatics are much more bothered by indifference than they are opposition.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

"Most computers." "42% of web devices." Etc, etc. This is a prime example of what my wife calls "technical truth." In other words, paltering.

While technically true that smartphones, servers, IOT devices and gaming consoles are in fact computers, using that definition is misleading and in the case of our religious zealot OP, intentionally so. But it really isn't an answer that facilitates clear communication.

Most people, when you say "computer," call to mind a box sitting on your desk with a monitor and keyboard attached to it; a desktop or laptop PC. Even those who know that their smartphone and the PCM (powertrain control module) in their car are also technically computers.

So, in the real world this is what the figures really look like:

Screenshot_20230623-143941_1.png.efd4bba6d82e949c240410f0b6d2328d.png

Even for those who "know better."

Based on these compelling statistics, screw Linux. Where's the FreeBSD version of Cakewalk?

• Great Idea 1

On 6/23/2023 at 5:02 PM, Linux Daws Are The Best said:

Am running Linux, that must me whats wrong.

Site wont open.jpg

that shows a dns error (ie, address not found) - check your dns server settings (the google public dns servers always work)

• 2 months later...

It's easy enough to run cakewalk in Linux via bottles along with any windows plugins and VSTs. Personally I've taken a liking to Ardour as it has a lot more capabilities than cakewalk and is free and open source. There are also many Linux plugins as they seem to be booming after the release of windows 11 bloatware. 

Not rubbish at all, just personal preference. Saying the words "Absolute rubbish" with no reasoning why, gives me the "I know nothing about music production" vibes. I will always like Cakewalk but can see that Ardour is on both windows and Linux. While you can get a version of cakewalk free, you still get Ardour free. Due to it being open source, if you really want to geek out, you can change the program as you see fit. I prefer the software as is but am curious about the Lua scripting as that can make productivity much faster and easier. As for windows 11, I'm not really worried about spyware as I have nothing to hide, it's really due to al the bloatware and background processes that annoy me as it makes it feel clunky in comparison. On boot, my system hits around 800MB and idles around 250MB. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bowden said:

Not rubbish at all, just personal preference.

Your feelings don't change the fact that Cakewalk is FAR more advanced than Ardour.

Ardour is a toy compared to CW.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bowden said:

...gives me the "I know nothing about music production" vibes.

Whatever.

Your comments demonstrate that you have no idea what CW is capable of.

5 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Your feelings don't change the fact that Cakewalk is FAR more advanced than Ardour.

Ardour is a toy compared to CW.

Whatever.

Your comments demonstrate that you have no idea what CW is capable of.

I have been using cakewalk since we'll before it's name change. Being open source means it has an uncountable amount of sound engineers on the job as it can also be used across multiple operating systems and be modified completely by the user themselves if wanted unlike Cakewalk. Scripting built in can also benefit to personalise it's functionality. You don't give much of an argument but is understandable for some window users as it is an end user OS. If you want, we could both make a comprehensive list of the features in each DAW?