CbB help bug

satchmo-x

Hope this is the right forum for a bug report.

Since the announcement of the new Sonar and NEXT products, the help in CbB has been broken, likely due to website refactoring.

How to reproduce: Open CbB, click Edit -> Preferences. Select any item in the left pane, and click the Help button on the lower left. Notice that the web page opened is https://www.cakewalk.com/, not the help page for the feature selected.

Thanks and regards,

Tim

• Thanks 1

This ^^^^^^^.

I tried my usual method (Menu Bar > Help > Documentation) and your method (Preferences > Help Button). Both work.  

As @Patrick Wichrowski says, try using the offline documentation (aka local help). I unchecked the box (Preferences > File > Advanced >  Always Use Local Help) and had the same issue you had.  When I re-enabled it, it worked again. 🙂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, satchmo-x said:

Hope this is the right forum for a bug report.

Since the announcement of the new Sonar and NEXT products, the help in CbB has been broken, likely due to website refactoring.

How to reproduce: Open CbB, click Edit -> Preferences. Select any item in the left pane, and click the Help button on the lower left. Notice that the web page opened is https://www.cakewalk.com/, not the help page for the feature selected.

Thanks and regards,

Tim

Noticed and reported Jun 6m received an email claiming it was fixed on the 7th. I tested then and it worked OK. It still works for me. Edge is my default browser on Win10.

Could this be a caching problem?

The old Cakewalk website was renamed from www.cakewalk.com to legacy.cakewalk.com

• Like 1

Apologies... maybe my intent wasn't clear. I was trying to file a bug report so this gets fixed in the next version. I appreciate the helpful suggestions on workarounds. At the same time, I don't think the default setting for the Help buttons in CbB should be broken, and am requesting that all the context sensitive help buttons be fixed open to the proper links in the next (last?) version of CbB, and in new versions of Sonar going forward. The local help workaround is valid, and works, but shouldn't be necessary.

I also realized/remembered that the proper way to report this is to email support@cakewalk.com. Sorry for the noise in the forum.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:06 AM, scook said:

Noticed and reported Jun 6m received an email claiming it was fixed on the 7th. I tested then and it worked OK. It still works for me. Edge is my default browser on Win10.

Could this be a caching problem?

The old Cakewalk website was renamed from www.cakewalk.com to legacy.cakewalk.com

I'm not sure how this could be fixed without a new CbB release  that changes the base URL for Help, or a revert or change of the website. I am unaware and have not found a setting to change the base URL for the Help documentation.  Per your suggestion, however, I did clear my browser cache, and it did not resolve the issue.

Edited by satchmo-x

This is happening for me as well. I tried to look up a keyboard shortcut which I always use the help menu for. It takes me to an promo page for the new upcoming software.  There were no links to find help.
So I tried the documentation and the same thing. Both Computers, This sucks if they leave it this way as I don't know how many of my videos always tell people to use this feature which is now been highjacked by promoting the new software. 

Screenshot (561).png

Edited by JohnnyV

JMO: its kind of too bad (i.e., unfortunate) that the initial thread announcing Cakewalk Next and  Cakewalk Sonar rapidly moved away from low-drama fact-finding questions about the new products. I think a question about the help links in the new Cakewalk Sonar after noting that that website change seems to have broken the links in CbB would have been appropriate.

I am assuming (rightly or wrongly) that (1) the Cakewalk team has to coordinate the website changes with other departments within Bandlab, (2) they are aware of the issue, and (3) its on their to-do list to get all the links working properly.

FWIW,  https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation/Home works in Chrome; however, the help button  doesn't jump to respective help pages.

• Like 1

Looks good here. However, the in app link takes you to the Introduction page. You have to click on "Cakewalk" to find the Index.

Wondering how the help docs will be affected by the new Sonar releases?

Edited by sjoens

16 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Okay, it should be working now, go ahead and give it another try.

CbB 2022.11  & 2021.12

SONAR 2017.10

SONAR X3

SONAR X2

all seem OK now

I no longer have MC installed

thanks

• Like 1

D'oh!

Maybe of note: In Chrome the legacy pages open in perpetual loading (spinning circle) and images are broken even after adding the site to Chrome's Allowed list.
My guess is it's trying to load the pics but can't. Pics can be right-clicked and opened in new tab, tho.