Crucial MX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560 MB/s - CT2000MX500SSD1

cclarry

On 6/10/2023 at 4:50 PM, User 905133 said:

Two months ago I picked up a 2 TB crucial external SSD at a local store for $10 more than it is at NewEgg today ($100).  I have just started to use it and have no feel for how good/reliable it is over the long haul.  Any impressions / experiences with their external SSDs?  Thanks.

I am not sure what Crucial's track record is with their external drives, but my 1TB Samsung T5 has almost 95% Endurance after 2.5 years of use, and I've copied a LOT of data onto that drive.  My guess is you can probably get a good decade or more out of it, assuming relatively normal usage and no defects that affect its lifespan.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 1:50 PM, User 905133 said:

Two months ago I picked up a 2 TB crucial external SSD at a local store for $10 more than it is at NewEgg today ($100).  I have just started to use it and have no feel for how good/reliable it is over the long haul.  Any impressions / experiences with their external SSDs?  Thanks.

Are you using it as a daily driver or for bulk/backup storage in an external enclosure? You can take the warranty that Crucial gives it (5 yrs) and measure that against what the CrystalDiskInfo utility tells you about the drive, and in that way you can essentially see where you are at any given time in the hard drive's 'guaranteed' lifespan. With ssds the jury's still out on whether or not they're good for bulk storage where the hd doesn't get powered on often. You can read about it but essentially ssds will start to deteriorate just by virtue of existing especially if they're sitting on a shelf with data on them and not getting powered on often. As they deteriorate the data on them could get lost/corrupted. If the drive is inside your PC that gets powered on frequently I would just check CrystalDiskInfo now and then to see where you are within the projected lifespan that Crucial gives it anyway, and be backing up your system regularly which is good practice anyway. I personally don't have the same confidence in the longevity of ssds that I do for spin drives, though I don't use spin drives at all anymore.

https://youtu.be/HBcJD9rUNRo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2