"Server Busy" - Error Message

Sven

I've been getting this message quite often recently when I open a project from Windows (not within Cakewalk).  If I 'Switch To...' it continued opening and works fine  but I'm curious what is causing this:

image.png.ee2091928cae064e83332d89da02ba11.png

This is opening a file from explorer with my older Win 7 machine.  This always worked fine until recently when this message often appears.  It seems like a setting might have changed somewhere.

You don't say what version of Win 7 you are running (32- or 64-bit), but I have a faint recollection that sometimes a 32-bit app (or maybe plugin) will hang in a 64-bit Win OS when the app displays a prompt that is somehow hidden. Sounds pretty exotic, but even today on 64-bit Win with 64-bit CbB, some old plugins display a prompt that gets buried behind the CbB window. Just a thought.

I'm running Win 7 64 bit.  It doesn't do this every time so it's a bit  tricky to firefight.  It seems to always work fine from within Cakewalk but I usually open projects from Explorer so I can't be sure.

Panda antivirus seems to be using a lot of CPU so that might be it but that's been installed for quite a while.  I'm going to check for any other recent installs that may be causing this.

• 3 weeks later...

That "server busy" comes from drag and drop, so if you dragged from the desktop to the program icon (about double-clicking the icon, not sure, maybe the same), it indicates that the program has not yet accepted the handoff after some time period. It may eventually.

So a question is, does Cakewalk normally take a long time to start up on your system? Or maybe is your system especially busy, or just restarting, when you try to open that way?

I've been working on the same project for many months.  I normally just go to that project's folder and double-click on the last saved version.  That then opens Cakewalk.  This server busy message started a few weeks ago and I need to carefully look at what may have changed in the last month to cause this.