? workflow - MELODYNE

sadicus

Looking for some MELODYNE techniques.
In this example all the clips in one track need to be pitch corrected, yet not sure the best way to it.
Region FXwas used for the guitar solo that was just a little out of tune with a piano. It worked great and looking for advice on the best way to use it on a track with multiple clips that all need to be pitch shifted.
 here are a few options:

• Bounce all track clips to one file then pitch shift?
  • Region FX for each Clip?
  • Select all clips in the track and apply melodyne to effect all of them at the same time without bouncing to a single clip first?

cbb_Melodyne1.jpg

It also depends on computer resources and which Melodyne variant you are running in a way. I do not leave Region FX enabled, so would bounce them to one clip, do one edit session and bounce out of Melodyne to save time and get it in one pass.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mettelus said:

It also depends on computer resources...

For me, it's usually my own cognitive resources that run out before the computer's. For example...

Let's say you edit a vocal, reckon it's done and commit. Like the confident badass you are.

Then, three days later something just sounds "off" and close examination reveals that you'd accidentally adjusted a blob that didn't need adjusting, because you've committed the ultimate pitch-editing sin: making a choice based on the picture without closely listening before and after.

Now you have to re-edit the clip and re-commit, something I am loathe to do. Melodyne's good and its artifacts are subtle - but it's not perfect, and artifacts compound with each re-scan and bounce. It's at this point that you're glad you only have to re-do a 1-second phrase and not an entire vocal take.

• Like 1

I use melodyne a lot and normally in smaller size clips. The only time i would do a track long use is if i want to use the adjust volume feature and bring up some low volume notes in the track. Otherwise the small clip size and render is what i do

• Like 2

If I have a vocalist come in and record I always run those tracks through Melodyne. Sometimes it really doesn't need it except for the fact that every song seems to be Auto-tuned. I then take that singer's track and either copy it to a new lane (this seems the most efficient method) or copy it to another track and mute both. My computer is fairly powerful so I don't have a problem putting a 4 minute track into Melodyne. I select the Correct Pitch Macro and slide both pitch and drift to 100% and give it a good listen before I keep it. I didn't do this for many years, but for some reason it works wonderfully. If it doesn't work I just grab notes in Melodyne and start making adjustments, that's when I get lost in the whole thing and realize the sun is rising again.

I am always open to better ways of working with Melodyne. So, I am all ears.