Reason Studios Releases Objekt Synth $79 Intro

Brian Lawler

https://reasonstudios.com/products/objekt/

Also available in the Reason Shop

$79 for two weeks, then $99

Objekt is an open-ended physical modeling synthesizer, meaning it models the properties of acoustic instruments and gives you control over those as parameters. Instead of choosing between pre-made options, it opens the hood to the inner workings of physical modeling synthesis so that you can experiment and approach it like what it really is: a synthesizer.

At the heart of Objekt are three resonating objects, think of them like the instrument itself, with in-depth control to create anything from a string or bell to a skin or something yet unheard. The instrument is then set in motion by the Exciter section. From the short impact of a stick to a wash of noisy static, the Exciter lets you play the instrument in dynamic and wonderful ways. Tweak the sound to suit your needs or invent entirely new instruments with just a few parameter changes. Objekt generates all sound in real time without relying on pre-recorded samples which makes it dynamic, playable, and easily customizable—but also fast and lightweight.

Need somewhere to start? Explore over 500 expertly crafted patches covering a wide range of sounds. Objekt excels at both realistic reproductions and new imaginary instruments that doesn’t exist. Until now. Move any parameter to see what happens. Use the powerful randomizer to slightly alter a patch or morph it to a brand new direction. Start from scratch and see where you end up. Objekt’s designed to be explored on your terms.

Objekt is perfectly integrated into the Reason Rack workflow with the familiar browser, native undo, CV and audio cables, and more. You can even connect any audio signal to the External Input and use any sound to excite the instrument’s resonators to incredible effect, think of it like an “acoustic vocoder”.

Features

Open-ended physical modeling synthesis for unique acoustic sounds

Dynamic, lifelike, and easily customizable

Powerful randomizer for instant variation and inspiration

Over 500 included patches

Included with Reason+

Requires Reason 10.1 or later. The included Combinator patches require Reason 12.

Edited by Brian Lawler
  • Thanks 1

This seemed so good in theory that I briefly considered using that Reason Rack thing but thankfully all of the atrocious demo tracks and the 3rd-rate advertising TV channel announcer voice in the release video changed my mind immediately.

• Like 2

Well, I am impressed with it.  I spent an hour playing with it in Reason 12, and found the interface quite well thought-out.  It does sound rather like Chromaphone and  String Studio had a baby.  It is weak on pads and traditional synth sounds, but organic leads and percussion are excellent.  Here is a deeper diving sales pitch-

• Like 4

Also, and I hope this isn't too philosophical, and it might just be me, but I feel like the whole physical modeling thing is pointless when it isn't simulating an actually existing, familiar sounding instrument or at least object. There's a reason humans have invented the instruments they've invented and we've come so far that it's almost impossible  to create anything where we don't go "it sounds almost like X... why doesn't it sound more like X?". The video proudly demonstrates like a dozen variations of a conga sound, but honestly, an off sounding conga is just an off sounding conga. I'd rather use a conga sound and put some saturation or other effects on it. Call me boring, but I feel like our brains can tell when a sound is trying to sound real but doesn't sound like anything that exists physically.

I fell in love with the idea of physical modeling before I bought Plasmonic and stuff from AAS and Physical Audio, but when it comes down to reality, it's really just a million variations of "pling pling", "whoosh" and "bump bump". Anything that sounds like mallets will make you think it's an odd sounding vibraphone or marimba or whatever, anything that sounds like a plucked instrument will make you think "that's an odd sounding guitar/banjo/sitar/oud/whatever" and so on. This is why I've sold the AAS bundle a while ago and haven't ever looked back.

On the other hand, modeling actual instruments like Modartt, Roli/FXPansion and others are doing is the stuff my wet dreams are made of. Now excuse me while I make sweet love to my Seaboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Lawler said:

Well, I am impressed with it.  I spent an hour playing with it in Reason 12, and found the interface quite well thought-out.  It does sound rather like Chromaphone and  String Studio had a baby.  It is weak on pads and traditional synth sounds, but organic leads and percussion are excellent.  Here is a deeper diving sales pitch-

Still, don’t see what I couldn’t do with Applied Acoustics stuff. 

$79 is too expensive for me these days.  Too bad it's not Waves or PA where it will hit $29.

They'd have to throw it in for free in the Reason 13 upgrade for me to bite.  It's not about quality it's that I have so much quantity. 

8 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

$79 is too expensive for me these days.  Too bad it's not Waves or PA where it will hit $29.

They'd have to throw it in for free in the Reason 13 upgrade for me to bite.  It's not about quality it's that I have so much quantity. 

Similar thoughts here. We didn’t get much in terms of new instruments with Reason 12, only Mimic and a renewed Combinator. 

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

Similar thoughts here. We didn’t get much in terms of new instruments with Reason 12, only Mimic and a renewed Combinator. 

It will be interesting to see if they try to entice some cash flow by offering some of their recent releases with a version 13 this Fall.  So far the only upgrades to the DAW have been fulfilling their promises for version 12 almost two years ago.   I am on my second year of Reason Plus at $80/year thanks to holiday sales, and I will probably keep it up if they keep it Reason-able (sorry).  (no, I'm not)

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 6:25 PM, Fleer said:

Yep, doesn’t sound too good. Or anything Chromaphone and its sisters can’t do. 
Friktion was good though. 

Revised opinion. This is pretty pretty good. Just try it out for drums. Wonderful addition to the physical modeling world. 

• Like 1

In some ways, Reason introducing VST support was their undoing in two ways:

- They can't gouge their user base for Rack Extensions which are just conversions of plugins from the outside.

- It showcases how, once you look at the outside world, some of their attempts at Virtual Instruments are really pedestrian and don't really stand out.

5 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

In some ways, Reason introducing VST support was their undoing in two ways:

- They can't gouge their user base for Rack Extensions which are just conversions of plugins from the outside.

- It showcases how, once you look at the outside world, some of their attempts at Virtual Instruments are really pedestrian and don't really stand out.

Well with VST and RE's thoe choices are overwhelming.  RE content can't be stored on another drive. Those REs take up over 15gb on my systems.

3 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Well with VST and RE's thoe choices are overwhelming.  RE content can't be stored on another drive. Those REs take up over 15gb on my systems.

While I agree that Reason Studios needs to allow (at least some) content to live on the drive of the users choice, I want to point out that Reason throws all their instruments and samples used by their RE's  in the same bucket.  So it's hard to separate the instrument vs sample space used.   We can only hope that fixing that is somewhere on their to-do list.