Don't ever let me convince you I'm a smart shopper

bitflipper

You know how they put all that useless crap on display in the checkout line at the supermarket? They're hoping you'll make a dumb impulse buy just because you're bored waiting in line. Ooh, a flashlight that's also a keychain! I could use that. And it's only $7.99!

Well, today I was using DDMF's Plugin Doctor when it popped up with a notice that an update was available. So I popped over to their site and found myself at their own impulse-buy rack. I saw a product called ChordDetector. Ooh, that could be handy. And it's only $15!

The idea is that you play a wav or mp3 and it shows you the chord progression. Sounds reasonable. I mean, Melodyne can do that, right? A potential timesaver at band practice.

Problem is, this thing just flat doesn't work. I gave it simpler stuff to analyze, such as an unaffected acoustic guitar file. It made no difference. C | Bbm | E | Bbmaj7 | C#m | Gm just ain't a thing. Not in my universe, anyway. And that was my own composition, so I knew the chord progression was Em | G | D.

I feel like I just got home from the supermarket, proud owner of a flashlight that's also a keychain. One that doesn't light up and won't hold keys.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Send me the WAV or MP3. I'll analyze it with Moises and send you the chords - and only charge $7.50 (half price!). Sorry, but no flashlight :^)

But seriously folks - I've had good success with Moises (moises.ai). Pretty nifty. No affiliation - I just like it. I'm sure there are others - please chime in.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

@Sheens; I believe all you posted are for MIDI detection. 

The OP was referring to audio chord detection, which is much more difficult. 

I've found that Scaler does a reasonable job on single instruments but chokes on a complex sample.

the Hornetplugins should do detection from audio too..

Edited by Sheens

1 hour ago, Sal Sorice said:

Moises does track separation and chord detection of audio

Just purchased a year and did an extraction (vocal, bass, drums, guitar, other). I tried it on an original song. While it might need to compare it to X-Trax, the bass was really phasey and muffled sounding, but the drums were nearly spot on, and the vocals were pretty darn good too.

I think the chords may be right, I'll need to verify.

Edited by Bapu