APPs to connect Ipad 9.3.5 (antigo)

Milton Sica

Question

I "inherited" my old Ipad from my wife and would like to start using it as a controller/table, midi device.

I would like to count on the help of friends to indicate which apps would still be compatible with this version of the iPad.

I already use TouchDown on my cell phone.

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

On 5/9/2023 at 2:03 AM, Starship Krupa said:

I have an iPad Mini running iOS 12.5.7 and I'd say a good one to get and mess about with is MIDI Controller Pro.

It's free, runs on older versions of iOS.

RESOLVED

With your opinion I was able to connect my iPad 2 via MIDI CONTROLLER and I share my step by step for this in the hope of being able to help other users who may come across the same need.

STEP BY STEP

1 - On a computer with an IPAD 2 connected via USB - Install JAILBREAK for the IPAD 2 (there are several videos on Youtube that guide you on how to do this) in order to allow the device to survive.
2 - On a computer, install an old version of Itunes that allows you to GET the MIDI CONTROLLER application from the APP Store. A 12.6.5.3 é uma delas.

image.png.d5eb86ee33d1ae03c7943391d85ad5a8.png

3 - In the APP Store, enter the COMPRAS option where the application previously obtained via Itunes will already be listed. Click on the Cloud icon. The APP Store will ask if we want to install the latest version of the app for our device. We reply that YES and app will be installed.

4 - In the MIDI CONTROLLER create a Connection via Windows TCP, that is, by an IP of the Wi-fi Network used, which must be the same as the one used by the IPAD 2 and the computer where Cakewalk is located. To obtain the ip of the computer on the wi-fi network, just enter the Windows CMD and run the IPCONFIG program. The IP to be informed when connecting the MIDI CONTROLLER is what appears in the line presented as: IPV4 ADDRESS.  In the details of the connection configuration there is one that will receive the port number. Make a note of this number as you will need to enter it in the LoopMe driver setup later on the computer.

image.png.2ff83db4e9a06fa416e0e3cc5cd20a2a.png

5 - Install the LOOPME driver on the computer, as instructed in the MIDI CONTROLLER help.

6 - Run the program that downloads with it with the screen below and inform the same port informed in the creation of the MIDI CONTROLLER connection.

image.png.e452222be40c5b55fef4e465793484aa.png

7 - With that done, it will be enough, already in Cakewalk, to configure the LoopBe device that will already appear as a MIDI device that I configured only as an input device.

image.png.c79002c394d8325460f9933771d39cfb.png

8 - Set up as a control surface like the image below.

image.png.cce67a1abf7dd4788eeb86dee51be94d.png

9 - Finally, access the free preset setup called CUBA on the iPad 2.

So I got it and am using the old iPad 2 as a control surface. Especially to practice/record my drums on my dear Alesis.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I have an iPad Mini running iOS 12.5.7 and I'd say a good one to get and mess about with is MIDI Controller Pro.

Thank you very much. I will try to download.
I found a way to download versions compatible with the iPad 2, with this version using an old version of Itunes that allows you to select APPs, click on GET and then on the iPad 2 try to use them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I was able to download and install a version of Midi Controller Pro on Ipad 2.

If it wasn't abusing your friend's time and help, could you give me a sequence of steps to do to connect to Cakewalk?

Is it via RTPMidi?

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

If it wasn't abusing your friend's time and help, could you give me a sequence of steps to do to connect to Cakewalk?

The best instructions on how to connect to your DAW used to be on their website, but it looks like the developer has taken it down.

I do remember that you need to change your MIDI driver mode to UWP.

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Okay, I figured out how to access help in the app.

Tap on Connections and then "For instructions click here."

Also: https://www.turboirc.com/mcp/

Very good. I also got this far and even managed to connect with Cakewalk via the IP of the machine where it is installed. I managed with the driver suggested by them.
With RTP Midi there was even a connection, but it was not executed.
An interesting piece of information is that my Nano Kontrol turned out to be disconnected.
So I think this is information that @msmcleod should already have.

Edited by Milton Sica

4 minutes ago, rsinger said:

I haven't tried it, but I ran across Splashtop recently. 

https://www.splashtop.com/wiredxdisplay

It looks like it lets you use the ipad as a second monitor, but you have the touch screen capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71FxkpIKqsM

I understood but, from what I saw, it only works if the iPad is connected via USB.

My intention is to command the DAW via wifi network, ip, bluetooth, etc.

6 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I was able to connect my iPad 2 via MIDI CONTROLLER and I share my step by step for this in the hope of being able to help other users who may come across the same need.

This is great news and a great tutorial! It might be helpful to people if you post a link to it in the Tutorials forum.

I didn't need to do your steps 1 and 2. MIDI Controller says in the App Store on my iPad that it's compatible with iOS 5.1 or later, which covers a LOT of ground. Even my 1st generation iPad Mini can run it no problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

This is great news and a great tutorial! It might be helpful to people if you post a link to it in the Tutorials forum.

I didn't need to do your steps 1 and 2. MIDI Controller says in the App Store on my iPad that it's compatible with iOS 5.1 or later, which covers a LOT of ground. Even my 1st generation iPad Mini can run it no problem.

Where is the Tutorials forum ?

I use an iPad Pro using Splashtop (free version) as a remote control for my PC. About 5 years now 

PC is connected to my network via Ethernet but the iPad connects via WiFi.

No noticeable effect on latency or other issues but then I use Waves DIGIGRID audio hardware which also allows me to offload plug-in processing. All my pc <-> sound card audio is transmitted via gigabit Ethernet.