xeon 2 processors suport

I don’t speak the language, but I’ve been running xeon machines here for years.

My old DAW has dual xeon 6 core processors @3.06G total 12 cores

My new DAW has a single xeon 12 core with dual threading. Cakewalk sees it as 24 "cores"

Both continue to work very well with Cakewalk...

On 5/5/2023 at 5:08 PM, Keni said:

I don’t speak the language, but I’ve been running xeon machines here for years.

My old DAW has dual xeon 6 core processors @3.06G total 12 cores

My new DAW has a single xeon 12 core with dual threading. Cakewalk sees it as 24 "cores"

Both continue to work very well with Cakewalk...

AFAIK, the xeon processors are considerably more expensive than the core processors. Do the xeon's out perform core i7 & i9 processors with  Cakewalk? 

Edited by Bill Phillips

12 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

AFAIK, the xeon processors are considerably more expensive than the core processors. Do the xeon's out perform core i7 & i9 processors with  Cakewalk? 

It seems so to me but I've not done any empirical testing. I always have a tone of resource headroom here so it's hard to know without such testing. This machine is a 2013 Mac Pro 6,1 (Trashcan) with 128GB RAM... I'm running Monterey on the Mac side which I never use and Windows 10 for my daily use as my DAW running Cakewalk by Bandlab!

49 minutes ago, Keni said:

It seems so to me but I've not done any empirical testing. I always have a tone of resource headroom here so it's hard to know without such testing. This machine is a 2013 Mac Pro 6,1 (Trashcan) with 128GB RAM... I'm running Monterey on the Mac side which I never use and Windows 10 for my daily use as my DAW running Cakewalk by Bandlab!

Oh, your zeon processor is in a Mac. I was thinking it would be in a PC. Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Oh, your zeon processor is in a Mac. I was thinking it would be in a PC. Thanks.

Sorry... but it is the same processor and I run Windows 10 using Bootcamp as my native/default system. I get funny looks from developers but I have yet to find any issues in this matter. Other than limitations on migrating the partition and even that can be dealt with if really necessary.

Unless I’m mistaken (which I often am) Bootcamp merely creates a virtual Bios on which Windows runs connecting to all peripherals directly.

I've seen a few xeon pc's though they are rare but available if you look. Every bit as expensive as a mac. I believe they are often used for some heavy-purposed servers as well

Edit:

I should add that it’s now a thing of the past to run a mac this way since the company wide replacement of all Intel processors with their' m1/2/3 processors 

Edited by Keni
  • Thanks 1

i think once you get beyond a certain number of cores and/or physical CPU, the Windows 10 etc start to get a bit weird. and if you're running a server type machine with mutiple Zeon CPU + NUMA channels and beyond, you might need to look at the Windows Server OS. i seem to recall someone a while ago had posted on a site about 6 18-core Zeon with 512GB RAM on a older server with Windows Server 2012 R2 OS and was running SONAR ok. 

• Thanks 2

According to MS, the kernels of home and server versions are the same: it's what they are licensed to support (eg. Max memory) and what else is included (eg. DNS service) that varies.  Oh, and price 🙂

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i think once you get beyond a certain number of cores and/or physical CPU, the Windows 10 etc start to get a bit weird. and if you're running a server type machine with mutiple Zeon CPU + NUMA channels and beyond, you might need to look at the Windows Server OS. i seem to recall someone a while ago had posted on a site about 6 18-core Zeon with 512GB RAM on a older server with Windows Server 2012 R2 OS and was running SONAR ok. 

Whew! That’s some sweet power!

14 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

For the Threadripper 3990X (64-cores,  128-threads), there's Windows Pro for Workstations. I suppose Microsoft wasn't expecting consumer grade high core count cpus to hit the market so soon.

47 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

For the Threadripper 3990X (64-cores,  128-threads), there's Windows Pro for Workstations. I suppose Microsoft wasn't expecting consumer grade high core count cpus to hit the market so soon.

weird given they tend to work closely with the CPU folks...

Compare Windows 11 Business Editions | Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/business/compare-windows-11

i think the difference with physical CPU vs single CPU - multiple CPU are complex multi-buss beasts to share IO, memory, scheduling etc. across physically separated sub-components. whereas, a single CPU with (say 64-cores 🙂 ) is still everything under one roof. so it's likely the consumer OS (which i believe is hamstrung restricted by the software deliberately...) should be able to use it. the next choke point is the RAM allocation per core. i think most times, 1GB / core is a bare minimum nowadays. probably best to have 4GB / core if you can afford it.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Just now, Glenn Stanton said:

weird given they tend to work closely with the CPU folks... i think the difference with physical CPU vs single CPU - multiple CPU are complex multi-buss beasts to share IO, memory, scheduling etc. across physically separated sub-components. whereas, a single CPU with (say 64-cores 🙂 ) is still everything under one roof. so it's likely the consumer OS (which i believe is hamstrung restricted by the software deliberately...) should be able to consume it. the next choke point is the RAM allocation per core. i think most times, 1GB / core is a bare minimum nowadays. probably best to have 4GB / core if you can afford it.

It's important to note Intel had the PC and CPU market on stranglehold for 20+ years with their bribing schemes and such. AMD is the one pushing those high core count CPUs. If Intel was still on monopoly, you'd be using the same quad core CPUs forever with minor tweaks here and there.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Whew! Monster Machines! Wouldn't that be fun to DAW!

6 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

It's important to note Intel had the PC and CPU market on stranglehold for 20+ years with their bribing schemes and such.

actually since 1990 or so 30+ years 🙂 i can fondly remember my days consulting on Wall St and watching the Apple-Windows battles and the financial companies screaming at  Intel, Apple, and Microsoft to stop being f**k-ups and make their products work. good to see they've kept up the traditions of bugs and hamstringing...

Edited by Glenn Stanton

1 minute ago, Keni said:

Whew! Monster Machines! Wouldn't that be fun to DAW!

If all else fails, you can always go the Epyc route. They're slowly pushing towards 128 cores. Their highest SKU atm has 96 cores/192 threads, but if you want more cores, you can get the 84 core version and run two of them on a dual socket board. Granted each CPU is over 10 grand...

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

If all else fails, you can always go the Epyc route. They're slowly pushing towards 128 cores. Their highest SKU atm has 96 cores/192 threads, but if you want more cores, you can get the 84 core version and run two of them on a dual socket board. Granted each CPU is over 10 grand...

Ha! Wouldn't that be fun!

I could finally start using Amplitube 5!

• Like 1