When All Is Done

DaveT2

I posted this song as an instrumental a while back while I tried to figure out some words and a tune. I am not a good singer, but I am putting it out there. Comments are welcome, but I  know the limitations of my voice. PLEASE LISTEN TO REVISED MIX DOWN LATER ON THIS POSTING>

Edited by DaveT2
  • Like 1

Jack, thanks for listening and your input.

The pulsing bass is the free Impulse Synthesizer by Bojo Software with the Atmosphere setting. The pulsing is created by the Blue Arp Arpeggiator using the Simple 4K down 4 bars setting with a few adjustments. 

Thanks for listening Deering amps.

Keith Wilby, the bassy is my fault, I kept rolling highs out because it stood out even worse on the mix. I did have a version of more aggresive voice, I might play with that some. I have a hard time making it fit in the mix. I feel I am pretty good mixing instruments, but have not done much with voice.

• 2 months later...

I have revised the voice mix adding a voice doubler and echo. My concern with the original, which is in the first post was my voice didn't seem to blend. I  think this works better, but I may be wrong.

Thanks for listening.

I like this one, very cool laid back but still driving arrangement. Your voice is fine, you just need to work with it awhile like you do with any other instrument. Soon you'll be comfortable with how it sounds and you'll start writing stuff that plays to your sound. John Lennon, one of the great voices in rock, hated his voice.

Your voice is definitely up for the task. I listened to the doubled and the non-doubled.

For the non-doubled, I'd take an eq to the vocal and notch out a healthy 3-4db of the area around 300-400hz, I bet it that might thin it up in the mix. It's got some low mid boominess that needs to go.

For the doubled, you might have added a bit too much highs in eq, because there is a bit of sibilance, just a bit. But I liked the doubled effect!

For either, your songs are your personal expression, and to serve that end, sing away! Your vocal tone is not even close to bad, super pliable to production techniques, and decent by itself, so rock on!

I liked the tune, are you going for an 80's vibe?

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

PhonoBrainer, thanks for listening  I appreciate the comments on my voice. I have never been happy with it so like I said, I have always just created instrumentals. I might reconsider and try a bit more vocals.   I really wasn't trying for any specific era or vibe, just came up with a sound and pattern that I liked and expanded on it.

Thanks again.