Sudden slowing

David Pollock

"Sluggish" is not the first word I thought of to describe this, but I am borrowing it from another poster with a similar experience. In a project with a lot of instruments (for me anyway)--40--the interface has grown slower in several disruptive ways such as: when I draw an envelope pattern, it takes a second for the pencil to appear and after drawing another second or two for what I drew to appear; pressing stop or play takes a couple of seconds to happen; and at times, anything I click on may take a long time to activate. A few times, the project kept playing for something like 30 seconds after pressing stop.

The performance indicators do not show a problem, and when this large project is playing, it plays fine. So it's hard to imagine my system cannot manage it. I wonder if there is an issue between my graphics card and CW though I have no idea what to check. I think there might also just be some issue with this project. Disabling FX do not fix it. What else can I do?

My 64 bit system:

image.png.601b437cef2cfb3e05fcb9fedd059ace.png

Performance while playing back this project:

image.png.ab0373f13a9cf5a2a63a1e6b20a5775a.png

Graphics card:

image.png.74f8f8936f2f5d4bbf930be616635cfd.png

image.png

image.png

First thing I would check is your nVidia apps. They love to process stuff in the background without your consent. I have a nVidia card I only use for CUDA stuff and I only install the drivers. I don't need things like GeForce Experience or Shadowplay. That's what the primary AMD card is for.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

I have this issue as well. It happens to me when I have multiple takes with CC DATA (piano with sustain or drums with foot pedal) in the take lanes that I have split in order to comp the best of each.  It’s very disruptive to the PRV.  It’s worse when viewing the CC data in the PRV.  Looking at Velocity it’s  a lil better.  

I’ve had it where it took 2 and a half minutes for the project to stop after pressing stop.

A workaround for me is to bounce to clip  the keeper takes to 1 take per track.  I usually duplicate it first and archive the original in order to preserve all my takes.

The project becomes snappy again.

I’d like to see a more elegant fix though. 🤞

I have had this issue for years with large orchestrations.  It seems to be worse when you copy a paste from one track to another.  I've had the same issue on 2 different computers.   New computer is only a couple years old with a 10 core processor that is barely showing any cpu usage.  2 different video cards between the computers.   I've had to move to another program that has no issues at all.

• Sad 1

On 4/21/2023 at 9:26 PM, David Pollock said:

when I draw an envelope pattern, it takes a second for the pencil to appear and after drawing another second or two for what I drew to appear

if by saying "draw an envelope pattern" you mean something about the the automation/envelopes then IDK, but if you mean drawing/editing MIDI Control Change events then yes, I was having this same issue for years going back to Sonar Platinum times. I even reported it back then and even had a response (after 6 months) that there were some adjustments done to the Sonar's engine but it didn't solve this issue.

I was doing a Hammond organ VSTi track, it has 2 manuals with 9 drawbars plus couple other controls each, a pedals with up to 5 drawbars and then several general controls for other things along with controlling the virtual leslie speaker, going easily into more than 50 different CC controllers altogether for just one instrument. For me the issue, same looking as those for @Blogospherianman and @haydn12 above, starts when my project crosses some critical mass of these MIDI controller data amount in it, then the sluggishment starts being noticeable. To me it looks like a GUI issue but maybe it's a Cakewalk's MIDI engine issue indeed otherwise why it would start only after the amount of MIDI data crosses some quota in a project, and it's always fine with smaller/normal projects?

Edited by chris.r

On 4/22/2023 at 5:49 PM, haydn12 said:

I have had this issue for years with large orchestrations.  It seems to be worse when you copy a paste from one track to another.  I've had the same issue on 2 different computers.   New computer is only a couple years old with a 10 core processor that is barely showing any cpu usage.  2 different video cards between the computers.   I've had to move to another program that has no issues at all.

Ugh. I've done a lot of copying and pasting. If that is it, I'm in trouble.

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

if by saying "draw an envelope pattern" you mean something about the the automation/envelopes then IDK, but if you mean drawing/editing MIDI Control Change events then yes, I was having this same issue for years going back to Sonar Platinum times. I even reported it back then and even had a response (after 6 months) that there were some adjustments done to the Sonar's engine but it didn't solve this issue.

I was doing a Hammond organ VSTi track, it has 2 manuals with 9 drawbars plus couple other controls each, a pedals with up to 5 drawbars and then several general controls for other things along with controlling the virtual leslie speaker, going easily into more than 50 different CC controllers altogether for just one instrument. For me the issue, same looking as those for @Blogospherianman and @haydn12 above, starts when my project crosses some critical mass of these MIDI controller data amount in it, then the sluggishment starts being noticeable. To me it looks like a GUI issue but maybe it's a Cakewalk's MIDI engine issue indeed otherwise why it would start only after the amount of MIDI data crosses some quota in a project, and it's always fine with smaller/normal projects?

I do a lot of such CC controller drawing, so if that's the problem, then Cakewalk is pretty useless because they are necessary. I guess I could experiment with deleting then and see what happens, but if it fixes the problem, I'm just left with Cakewalk being useless.

15 minutes ago, David Pollock said:

I could experiment...

I'll try to find my old hammond project and see if I did anything to it since, like bouncing clips with the controllers or anything to mitigate the sluggishness, if not then I'll try and experiment with it too.

I like to keep different CC# takes in separate clips to make it more easy for editing later, as I'm missing a few tools when I want to quickly select and move or edit whole takes or parts of a take with many different controllers in it and I want to edit or shift just one or few of them against the rest (visually). So I often keep a couple different controllers in the same track on separate take lanes for simplified access. Maybe that's additional cause for the issue.