Paste Special problem/bug

OddSox

I noticed Paste Special does not work perfectly when using 'Slide over old....' option. Not everything is being slidden.

Example 1 (arranger sections not slidden):

before:

368064143_Screenshot2023-04-21130028.thumb.jpg.8aa9e09964fb60bdceabc2ea0bf9508b.jpg

after:

281381511_Screenshot2023-04-21130228.thumb.jpg.d9c301c7ce36196c970a8eed2591b1d5.jpg

Example 2 (tempo change not slidden):

before:

1281520504_Screenshot2023-04-21130502.thumb.jpg.fea34988b06633f1257f37c8c43c6de9.jpg

after:

230431208_Screenshot2023-04-21130631.thumb.png.63d48d5094ee9bbc2536d68e02ac4200.png

Edited by OddSox

There is definitely a bug here.

It looks like it was introduced a few years ago, when we refactored the "Slide Over" to use Ripple Edit Selection under the hood.

The way it should work, is it should slide everything over you've checked in the Paste Special box, regardless of whether you've got that type of event in the clipboard or not.   The only exception is clips themselves - it won't slide clips in tracks you're not pasting to.  If you need this, use Ripple Edit All.

As it stands, it's only sliding over if you've copied that type of event with Copy or Cut special.  Tempos however, aren't sliding at all.

We'll get this fixed.

• Like 4

This is the dialogue I always get when I choose Edit-Copy. I guess I was unaware that is is called Copy Special, it just says copy,  but I see you are correct as the Help module is calling it that. Thanks for the clarification.  It's odd how when you look there are 3 little dots indicating there is more to the text,, And to further mystify the Paste has both options? Is the Copy text having a bug issue there in the graphics? 

1967416007_Screenshot(522).png.5b48a4853c9e2b2719f9e60c02815254.png

14 minutes ago, John Vere said:

This is the dialogue I always get when I choose Edit-Copy. I guess I was unaware that is is called Copy Special, it just says copy,  but I see you are correct as the Help module is calling it that. Thanks for the clarification.  It's odd how when you look there are 3 little dots indicating there is more to the text,, And to further mystify the Paste has both options? Is the Copy text having a bug issue there in the graphics? 

1967416007_Screenshot(522).png.5b48a4853c9e2b2719f9e60c02815254.png

Oh, you get the menu from right clicking. Yes, it's confusing there. In the main menu are two options, copy and copy special.

It is one of the downsides of Cakewalk for new users. It is such old code and has been re done so many times that the result is software that might have up to 6 ways to access the same function. And you will find your self using an older outdated method out of habit.  Then one day find a different?/better?/ newer?/ way and go why didn't know that 10 years ago?  Making the tutorials has made me explore as many of these options as possible. As a result my workflow has changed dramatically over the last 2 years as I discover easier ways to do things.  

Almost everything found in the (Windows 98?)   menu bar will have another option and many are either keyboard shortcuts or as in this case a simple right click on the highlighted clip.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

There is definitely a bug here.

It looks like it was introduced a few years ago, when we refactored the "Slide Over" to use Ripple Edit Selection under the hood.

"Slide Over" was TARFU before ripple edit was introduced.

Nice to see it back on the bug list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

software that might have up to 6 ways to access the same function. And you will find your self using an older outdated method out of habit.

I definitely concur, not just regarding Cakewalk of course, it's part of the way coding for common platforms works, I would imagine. So many entry points to doing certain functions have to be matched, and matched to expected standards, and of course if one method doesn't work, someone somewhere will go nuts. -I really have to hand it to programmers on big public works projects, -it's amazing Cakewalk has been as good as it is, but of course, nothing is perfect.

I would have to ask, for instance @msmcleod - does keyboard shortcut interfacing still get as much priority as say, GUI menus, or how is that all going? It must be hell to keep it all in sync. -And then allow for custom keyboard mapping! Wow.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:48 PM, JnTuneTech said:

I would have to ask, for instance @msmcleod - does keyboard shortcut interfacing still get as much priority as say, GUI menus, or how is that all going? It must be hell to keep it all in sync. -And then allow for custom keyboard mapping! Wow.

Thankfully,  keyboard shortcuts and menus are pretty much centralised by their command handler - i.e. it doesn't matter whether the command is invoked by a menu or a keyboard shortcut.  The only tricky part is determining context, which for the most part is determined by focus and/or selection.

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 7:05 AM, Andres Medina said:

Oh, you get the menu from right clicking. Yes, it's confusing there. In the main menu are two options, copy and copy special

Ah, and I have actually learned to appreciate the help module, as in that screen shot. Back in the day, it took me a long time to understand the modified keyboard command options for copy, cut, & paste available in Cakewalk. -Of course, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but having used "common" keyboard shortcuts for so long, I guess it didn't occur to me that there might be variations... Anyway, learning how Cakewalk offers the "special" options there, and what it does going forward in a session, took me a while to get a handle on.  Nowadays, I almost always do a ctrl-alt-c when I start editing MIDI, so I can set my preferred options, -and just to remind myself of what options exist (as in the GUI list having the 3 little dots comment) behind the operation (rather than just basic copy - cut - paste).