Midi Event Chase disabled for certain tracks/clips? (Possibly Solved)

Jimbo 88

I composed a piece in a notation program, exported the midi into Cakewalk.  Works really well except....The midi event chase does not work on my imported tracks.  So notes wont play if you start in the middle and the articulation map only works at the start of the new articulation.

If I create a new midi track and copy & paste the same data onto the new track it works fine.

Do the imported midi tracks have this option turned off?  I can't find a way to do this. Anyone know about this?  not really a problem, but I'd like to know in case I do this accidentally one day.

THANKS - (in advance)...

Edited by Jimbo 88

2 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I believe that midi chase is a global setting. Maybe double check your settings?

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=NewFeatures.37.html

Yeah, that's the only place I can find anything that about midi chase events.   The thing is, everything works fine on other tracks in the same project.   Just not on the imported midi tracks.

Seems like imported midi tracks are always quirky.  If I import midi in any notation program there are issues and I know that I'm going to have to copy and past  into a clean created project.  So I guess going back into Cake has similar issues.  I should just know i need to create my own tracks and copy and paste into them.

Thanks for the reply!

Just thinking out loud...I'm wondering if there might be a bunch of garbage MIDI events at the front of the imported file, such that Cakewalk doesn't have time to process them all or is otherwise unable to handle them, e.g. a SysEx request. Events that aren't copied when you copy the track.

If you look into the MIDI data with the Event List view, is there extra stuff at the top of the imported file that isn't in the copied track?

I think this is just because the midi channels are different, make sure every event is on one midi channel, or set kontakt's midi channel to omni. when you copy & paste it, you didn't copy the cc data, only copy notes, So make it works fine.

Edited by hadada

14 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Just thinking out loud...I'm wondering if there might be a bunch of garbage MIDI events at the front of the imported file, such that Cakewalk doesn't have time to process them all or is otherwise unable to handle them, e.g. a SysEx request. Events that aren't copied when you copy the track.

If you look into the MIDI data with the Event List view, is there extra stuff at the top of the imported file that isn't in the copied track?

Tried this,  called up the event list and deleted all the extra stuff at the beginning of all the tracks, exited and reopened the project.  Nothin', still the same.  I always stat my projects in measure 2 for just this reason

16 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Just a reminder that "opening" and "importing" MIDI will behave differently. What happens if you open those files instead of importing them?

Is MIDI chase a part of the GM spec?

Tried doing both ways.  (Importing does not bring in tempo changes). Same results.

AH HA!   So if I import midi onto already created tracks it works fine.  So maybe you import the midi files after creating the tracks.  If you need tempo data you can copy and paste it from opening the midi file in a separate Cake file.

Midi has been around for what 40 years? Still has its quirks.  I tried all this in a different DAW and same exact thing. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo 88 said:
16 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Just a reminder that "opening" and "importing" MIDI will behave differently. What happens if you open those files instead of importing them?

Is MIDI chase a part of the GM spec?

Tried doing both ways.  (Importing does not bring in tempo changes). Same results.

AH HA!   So if I import midi onto already created tracks it works fine.  So maybe you import the midi files after creating the tracks.  If you need tempo data you can copy and paste it from opening the midi file in a separate Cake file.

If one wanted to do a deeper dive, pick up MIDICVS (here is a direct link to the Windows binary) and compare the MIDI files.

To see the difference between the original file and the imported file,

• save project containing the imported MIDI as a new MIDI file then
  • run both the original and new MIDI files through MIDICVS.

This will create two plain text comma separated files from the MIDI data.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1