MIDI panic button?

Starship Krupa

Sometimes I get stuck notes with my soft synths. Not blaming Cakewalk for this, it just happens sometimes.

However, when it DOES happen, I want to be able to stop them. I mean all of them, regardless of how they were initially triggered or whatever.

There have been multiple times when I've hit the "Reset MIDI and Audio" button and yes, the sounds stopped, but as soon as I hit the button to restart the audio engine, the stuck notes came back on. I imagine that the existing panic button sends out All Notes Off to every synth track, but apparently not all of them respond correctly to All Notes Off.

Is there some way to have a button or menu command to absolutely, for sure, definitively, terminate all playing notes, short of closing and reopening the project? And I mean, terminate. With extreme prejudice. By any means necessary. If it means sending individual "note off's" to all 127 notes on every MIDI track, so be it. I don't know, I just want all the notes to stop sounding and stay that way until I hit Play again.

For my 90s synth it's called the OFF switch. It loves sticky notes so I'm constantly flipping the switch off&on to shut it up.

CbB "Reset" works 50/50.

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

hold down Shift when hitting the MIDI reset button

Thanks, I'll try that one next time.

On 3/1/2023 at 5:00 AM, Promidi said:

Try this and see if this improves.

In Preferences - File - Initialization File (Advanced) add the option PanicStrength=1.

As a heads-up, the dialog looks like this:

image.png.25e8bf60a1b6df398d4eeb2fbadc9672.png

I have some confusion about Cakewalk's INI files.

According to the documentation, this entry would be under the WINCAKE section in the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.ini.

But the file that gets edited in Preferences is AUD.INI, isn't it?

Edited by Starship Krupa

3 hours ago, sjoens said:

Your screenshot is for AUD.INI under Preferences > Audio > Configuration File

Cakewalk.INI is under Preferences > File > Initialization File

Nice that AUD.INI can be opened directly from Preferences

So does editing the raw Cakewalk.ini file have the same effect as making entries in the "initialization file" preference pane?

Interesting: I looked up "panic" in the Reference Guide (Ctrl+F) and found several sections about the Improved Reset/Panic Feature, but its not listed in the Table of Contents or the Index for the Online Documentation.  Its there, just not listed in the Table of Contents or the Index.  So, for somethings, its better to search in the Reference Guide. 

• Great Idea 1

24 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

So does editing the raw Cakewalk.ini file have the same effect as making entries in the "initialization file" preference pane?

Yes. The Preferences window acts as an editor.

This is for the INI file located in C:\Users\spjoe\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core  and not the one located in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core. Not sure why there's 2.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=INI_Files.2.html

Edited by sjoens
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, User 905133 said:

Interesting: I looked up "panic" in the Reference Guide (Ctrl+F) and found several sections about the Improved Reset/Panic Feature, but its not listed in the Table of Contents or the Index for the Online Documentation.  Its there, just not listed in the Table of Contents or the Index.  So, for somethings, its better to search in the Reference Guide. 

New features are not part of the TOC or index.

In the distant past, the new features section would be integrated into the rest of the documentation before each major release. With the last versions of SONAR, the integration happened a couple of times.

The CbB doc needs this. The New Section is getting too long to scan easily.

As far as searchable text, the release notes can be handy at times.