IK's Modo Bass

Jim Roseberry

Pulled out some songs I'd written ~25 years ago.

Don't have any of the MIDI gear I used back then (01/W FD being one major piece).

Got Modo Bass as part of IK's Total Studio Bundle (crazy low upgrade price), figured it would be a quick/easy way to cover any electric bass parts.

Opened Modo Bass, selected a 70s Jazz Bass, added a fifth string, and moved the pluck position a bit towards the bridge.

What a great sound/response!  Far more realistic than I was expecting.

Lots of physical models sound close... but often have traits that sound a bit "fake".

To my ears, that's not the case with Modo Bass.

Took almost no effort to get a bass tone that worked perfectly with the rest of the track.

Sounds significantly better than the original bass sound from the 01/W.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MODO Bass uses synthesis to create all those bass sounds. It's not a sampled library, which explains why its size is so small in comparison to other similar products out there, which are several GB in size depending on how much different instruments and variants you have.  MODO Drum only has the drum parts synthesized. All the cymbals are samples, and this is most of the 7GB of size it has.

• 1 month later...

I'm still playing my bass parts - Blacktop Jazz with double P pickups and lately I'm using the bx_bassdude and CLA-3, which I'm very happy with. I did have to sell my last baritone (I've had 4 so far) for a car repair and while trying to use the SoundIron Baritone, someone suggested MODO Bass. Instantly.... well, a little adjusting/tweaking and I was really pleased and relieved that I can put off getting another one. ..... a longhorn Dano would be very cool/fun!

So, Jim, I'm not surprised by your post at all.

• Like 1