Sim Wong Hoo, Father Of Creative Sound Blaster Passes Away At 67

Starship Krupa

https://www.theverge.com/23543094/creative-sim-wong-hoo-sound-blaster-obituary-death

Dang, that's pretty young.

I think about it, and the question for Windows users past the age of 30 isn't whether you ever owned a SoundBlaster, but which one(s) you owned.*

This guy created a standard for PC audio when one was sorely needed.

Thank you Sim Wong Hoo for making so much possible.

*(I don't remember the first one, but the last one I owned, which coincided with my entry into prosumer audio, was a Live! Unfortunately, I had to dump it once I found out that it resampled all incoming streams, no matter what the rate, to 48K. Even if you fed it 48K it still resampled it, and its resampling algo was not good. So my transcriptions of old DAT masters sounded "flattened" in comparison to the bit perfect transfers I later achieved. My first lesson in the fact that a "digital" audio stream could stay in the digital realm and still become compromised.

The fact that an $18 CMedia 8739-based card smoked it in terms of quality when taking input from (and sending output to) S/PDIF devices made me sad. The Audigy chip had so much potential.)

• Sad 2

With as many computers that I owned back in the day, I wouldn't be surprised if I had owned at least a dozen SoundBlasters (lots of different models, but mostly those with a face-plate).  I bet I still have a couple in my bin of old parts even!

67 is way too young...