Using CbB for practicing.....

hockeyjx

I have a few projects with songs to play along with. One for standard ....one for half step down ...one for Capo madness. Just unmute the wav and have an active guitar input. Then I play around with Guitar Rig or Amplitude to find good tones to complement the songs. I usually record just to see if it sounds accurate and the playing is good (not looking for recording perfection though).

I also will do this for vocals as well, and then record me doing each of the parts (think King's X or Little River Band) to see how I sound. I look at the vocals out in melodyne to see how I am holding pitch.

Anyone else do stuff like that? 

• Like 1

I will load different songs/backing tracks and start the project with one on solo. Play along with that. Next song, another key and tempo. Next song, same thing, another key and different tempo. And I have several different versions of this with different songs.

CW came lots of backing tracks in the day. Sweetwater has a lot on their site to dl for free. CW also came with clips that you could string together and make backing tracks. 

So yes I have been using CW to practice with for quite awhile. 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grem said:

I will load different songs/backing tracks and start the project with one on solo. Play along with that. Next song, another key and tempo. Next song, same thing, another key and different tempo. And I have several different versions of this with different songs.

CW came lots of backing tracks in the day. Sweetwater has a lot on their site to dl for free. CW also came with clips that you could string together and make backing tracks. 

So yes I have been using CW to practice with for quite awhile. 

Can you share any of the backing tracks or have links @Grem ?

Edited by hockeyjx

On 12/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, craigb said:

What IS this "practice" concept I hear so much about??? 🤔

😜

Stumbled upon this and realized how very little my practicing habits have changed in 4 decades. That's a picture of me practicing in the basement when I was a teenager, watching Star Trek TOS on VHS (on a little black and white tv). Unplugged. 

164839_494570612581_3001604_n.jpg.15e44f5cf14fc3872b5b9656a66a5b4b.jpg

I still do most of my practicing in front of the screen, most of the time unplugged. And I have since logged in some serious practice time in front of every Star Trek series (and many other shows, films, and documentaries).

I've used my DAW to practice on occasion, usually when I had material to learn, sometimes to A/B studio and live versions, or even to slow down certain passages or loop things I wanted to focus on. At some point I was involved in an Iron Maiden tribute - pretty cool because the way Live After Death is mixed, I could focus on my (Adrian Smith's) parts by playing his side only and then turn off his side and jam with the recording - since I was using my old POD HD, it all came through the studio monitors - pretty convenient way to learn and practice.

I did the same for a Judas Priest tribute in which I played bass. A lot more convenient to have a bunch of songs loaded in a project than to mess with media players. Just unmute what you need and play along.

I also used to keep a couple of blues arrangements to jam to - that was a while ago though.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2