2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD (up to 7100MBps) with Heatsink

cclarry

I've asked this question over at the Computer forum (amongst others) but not had a response yet so pitching in here if that's ok?. I'm getting a new PC and my geeky friend is very insistent I should get M2 drives both for my system and data. System I am definitely happy to go for it but from reading around there seems to be the impression that M2s are not that much faster than SSd in loading samples etc. Anyone have experience of using them compared to SSDs?

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I've asked this question over at the Computer forum (amongst others) but not had a response yet so pitching in here if that's ok?. I'm getting a new PC and my geeky friend is very insistent I should get M2 drives both for my system and data. System I am definitely happy to go for it but from reading around there seems to be the impression that M2s are not that much faster than SSd in loading samples etc. Anyone have experience of using them compared to SSDs?

Superior Drummer samples load quite a bit faster on my M2 drives vs SSD.  I never timed them so don't know exactly how much. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Just as a note, my original two M2 1GB drives cost 450 & 350 dollars respectfully in 2017. You can get them now for less then 100 bucks. 

13 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Anyone have experience of using them compared to SSDs?

Like jgarland, load times from the m.2 are much faster. Superior Drummer, EZD, EZKeyes, EZBass, Trilian. 

Not a fan of m.2 as the OS drive; my system only supports one m.2 drive. But if it supported multiple m.2 I might. 

t

• Thanks 1