Cakewalk crashes on start

Anders

I have used Cakewalk for a couple of years, but suddenly it crashes on start. The Splash screen show and the the program crashes.

I get this in event viewer

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 28.6.0.34, time stamp: 0x62dae0cf
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x2bd748bf
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007286e
Faulting process id: 0x5a84
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8d7543715d117
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 17efb66a-2419-4c4f-af06-74422dcafb6f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have run  SFC /scannow, which didn't report any errors

And DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth which didn't report any errors...

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Cakewalk !

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I tried repairing and reinstalling the Runtime Dist's but that did not fix it for me.

The conflict might be with the new ones as this all started after a recent MS update. My issue technically still stands as I should be able to have the onboard ASIO in the Preferences list. But now it has to be removed from the system's global registry or CbB won't open. 

On 10/11/2022 at 1:35 AM, rfssongs said:

Seems to me for a while Cakewalk improved in terms of crashes. Now I am seeing it happen a slightly more often. I don't however track those occasions.

Unfortunately most threads on the forum come about due to people experiencing problems. Not very often that people post how wonderfully things are going. 

In any case, most problems are resolved without that being reflected in the forum. When you own multiple DAWs you’ll realise that we have a very interactive forum with good support from the developers. I don’t know of any other forum where the company’s CTO (Noel Borthwick) regularly answers technical questions directly for users. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 3:00 AM, Michael Vogel said:

Unfortunately most threads on the forum come about due to people experiencing problems. Not very often that people post how wonderfully things are going. 

In any case, most problems are resolved without that being reflected in the forum. When you own multiple DAWs you’ll realise that we have a very interactive forum with good support from the developers. I don’t know of any other forum where the company’s CTO (Noel Borthwick) regularly answers technical questions directly for users. 

You're so right, Michael.  I'm also guilty of this.  For the very most part Cakewalk has been extremely stable for me.  If there are any problems it is probably caused by something I've done.  (I'm still a newb)

On 10/11/2022 at 4:40 PM, sjoens said:

Thanks Noel, I did a few days ago and fixing the Runtimes was one of their options.

@sjoens Sorry for the late reply. I looked at the dump files and both crashes are in your soundblaster driver!
Cakewalk isn't even doing anything at the time of the crash. This is purely in the driver.
I suggest uninstalling their driver or troubleshooting what causes it to crash with the vendor. This is not related to the latest update.

Unhandled exception at 0x000000006A800598 (CtHdAs64.dll) in Cakewalk.exe.21944 - Copy.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000008.

If you google CtHdAs64.dll you will see that it is from Creative Labs. This is the data on the file that caused the crash. 
CtHdAs64.dll    *C:\Windows\System32\CtHdAs64.dll    6.00.100.2059    3/1/2016 4:34 AM    

Thanks for the help Noel. I located two CtHdAs64.dll files on my system but they share a slightly different time stamp from the one you mention: 3/17/2016 5:53:28 AM.

For some reason uninstalling the Sound Blaster made it impossible to reinstall. Search for hardware change will not find it. I have the OEM install file but it says it gets interrupted and won't finish. I was forced to restore the system to an earlier date so it's back but Creative ASIO will have to remain excluded from the registry.

Mixcraft has a better way of reporting this problem. I'll PM you with more.

Edited by sjoens