CAKEWALK RECORDS OUT OF SYNC.......EVERY TIME.

Hello, I am using an HP laptop with windows 10, and a Roland Edirol USB interface. This program will not sync up with itself. What happens is, you print a track and in playback the track plays back about a beat late. This makes using a click track or metronome useless, as the playback tracks even play out of sync with the freaking cakewalk metronome. About to call it quits with this program and download another DAW if I cant fix this omnipresent glitch. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Watch tutorial #1. And # 20 It will get you fixed up. You might want to watch a few more if you’re new to Cakewalk it’s a complete series that will take the guesswork out of working with Cakewalk 

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

If midi then look at the Piano Roll view & make sure that the events are occurring on the beat.

If you are recoding midi there are some midi devices that introduce a delay and will not record properly. If this is the case (it may not be) you can move the entire track to land on top of the beat. You may have to quantize as well.

It is a little trickier if it is audio, just look at where the peaks occur. (But audio quantize does not work all that well.)

This will help you to determine if the problem is in the recoding or in the playback.

If you are working with Midi try writing a few measures in step mode for debugging purposes. That will be right on the beat.

* Make sure your computer is within the specifications required.

* Make sure you haven't loaded the computer down with other stuff running at the same time.

* Make sure Microsoft isn't hogging computer power doing an update. (maybe unplug the internet as a test)

On 6/29/2022 at 10:13 AM, 57Gregy said:

Are you using the ASIO driver mode with your Edirol interface?

Hey buddy, I have no idea what that is. I hooked up the Edirol to the laptop via USB and a prompt came on the screen asking if this was the interface I wanted to use, and I clicked yes. Any details would be appreciated.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:14 AM, james rector said:

You may need to seek a way for you to have zero latency monitoring while you track.  A small cheap board like a Behringer would probably suffice.

I don't see how that would help. I am monitoring the mix from the 1/4" outputs of the Edirol directly into a powered speaker. I don't know of any other possible way to monitor the mix.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:40 PM, msmcleod said:

First of all, make sure you're using the manufacturer's ASIO drivers  ( and not ASIO4ALL )

Secondly, make sure your Record Timing Master is set to the correct audio device.

Senor, I could be using Bozo the clown's drivers for all I know. I am a newbie at this. I plugged the Edirol into the laptop and a prompt came up on the screen asking if this was the interface I wanted to use, and I clicked yes. I am recording without MIDI, and without quantizing. Any details would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edited by CostaRicaCarl
  • Meh 1

On 6/27/2022 at 3:05 PM, John Vere said:

Watch tutorial #1. And # 20 It will get you fixed up. You might want to watch a few more if you’re new to Cakewalk it’s a complete series that will take the guesswork out of working with Cakewalk 

Thank you for the information, I will give it a listen and see if I can figure out the solution to this extremely annoying glitch.

16 hours ago, John Vere said:

Yes the video will explain what a few others have said. You need to download and install the proper ASIO drivers or ya you’ll have out of sync issues 

Buddy, I have tried downloading the drivers and updating the drivers for the Edirol and I am STILL getting a 1/4 beat time lag between the cakewalk metronome and the recorded track. Really stuck here/

Just now, CostaRicaCarl said:

Buddy, I have tried downloading the drivers and updating the drivers for the Edirol and I am STILL getting a 1/4 beat time lag between the cakewalk metronome and the recorded track. Really stuck here/

I did diascover a sampling rate difference from the cakewalk program to the Edirol, and I corrected that setting them both to 44.1 and STILL..............

On 7/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, CostaRicaCarl said:

bRO....let me ask you a serious question.....why are you here? Obviously it's not to help anyone.

Well your ridiculous replies are why he posted what he did. Then you got worse. You contradict people then in the next breathe say I have no idea what that is. YTOU need to learn. John V gave you great advice right at the beginning.. Jeeezzz.  

• Great Idea 1