Opinions on Console 1 Fader

cclarry

I agree with the wisdom shared here. And FWIW i’ve been looking at one of the channel strip mixers by rocksolid audio. One that is meant to replicate the SSL look at $325 USD. For what i need at least looks like it can adjust parameters of any third party plugin via the RSA host plugin (which acts as the host to load another plugin into), and with the track selected it lets you adjust custom parameters without opening the host. Idk if any of you all have it or experienced using it but was also curious lately about physical console mixer controllers for plugins & that one might looks like the best deal to me so far (I think it can control anything but I’d primarily just be using it for a 4000 or 9000 PA strip, YMMV though)

I think this is the system to beat still right now. Especially of late with the UAD and Softube integration and updates recently added.

It's compact and reliable. The value is incredible.

The Console 1 Mk2 is a bargain right now too. Thinking of buying another before they're gone.

Is the Fader 1 even available anymore new? Lucky I got one awhile ago.

I think I must be one of the few that might actually prefer the Console 1 Fader.

In the mixing phase is where I feel being able to adjust multiple faders at the same time would be more creative and organic sounding as I can't do that now with a mouse and keyboard (apart from Link Groups, etc, but then the changes need to be the same amounts)

If I think about HP / LP, gating, compression etc, that's where it often doesn't need to be done in real-time in response to changes in other tracks in general. EQ shaping multiple tracks at once would be good, but Console 1 doesn't do that, nor Fader.

This is still a little tempting and I can see why they split them, so they can be expanded easily, but I still don't think they got the format right for what I'd ideally like.

Apart from the PreSonus Faderport though, they're probably still one of the best options overall I've seen.

Faderport is a bit the same. It ticks some of the boxes, but I'm not sure I'm really sold on that either.

Maybe I'll wait and see what the new revisions of both of those include.. unless I end up buying one of these anyway 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

I think I must be one of the few that might actually prefer the Console 1 Fader.

In the mixing phase is where I feel being able to adjust multiple faders at the same time would be more creative and organic sounding as I can't do that now with a mouse and keyboard (apart from Link Groups, etc, but then the changes need to be the same amounts)

If I think about HP / LP, gating, compression etc, that's where it often doesn't need to be done in real-time in response to changes in other tracks in general. EQ shaping multiple tracks at once would be good, but Console 1 doesn't do that, nor Fader.

This is still a little tempting and I can see why they split them, so they can be expanded easily, but I still don't think they got the format right for what I'd ideally like.

Apart from the PreSonus Faderport though, they're probably still one of the best options overall I've seen.

Faderport is a bit the same. It ticks some of the boxes, but I'm not sure I'm really sold on that either.

Maybe I'll wait and see what the new revisions of both of those include.. unless I end up buying one of these anyway 🤣

Hi MM!

What gear ticks all the boxes you mention? 

33 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Hi MM!

What gear ticks all the boxes you mention? 

Hey! 🙂

I'm still looking really.. there's been some others, Icon, Behringer, etc that I've considered too, but they sound like they've got some quality control issues and still not sure they're it..

But in terms of format, if I could replicate the 16 channel mixer I've got sitting beside me, but with motorized faders and then maybe a single channel plugin control on the side of that I'd be happy.

In each of those channels that gets me:

• High pass filter
  • Input gain
  • EQ
    • High, High Mid, Low Mid, Low
  • AUX x 4
  • Pan
  • Fader
  •  Mute / Solo

Really I guess I'm after that hands on feel of mixing a whole track and getting the fundamentals (Levels, Pan, EQ) sitting where they should and being able to expressively ride faders and get movement in the tracks by panning multiple tracks in different directions at the same time.

That's one of the harder parts of working ITB, or Hybrid for me.

• Like 2