How to override default pitch bend range?

DallasSteve

I'm trying to record notes with pitch bend (wheel events).  I'm using a Kontakt guitar simulator and I see how to change the pitch bend range in Kontakt, but it seems to be limited to 2 semi-tones when I record the wheel events.  I did some research and I read where in a few places it says Cakewalk that defaults to 2 semi-tones for pitch bend range, but I can't find how to change that (raise it).  Below is a description about using V-Vocal pitch-to-MIDI in the Cakewalk documentation, but I don't think that applies to recording on a MIDI track:

Pitch Bend Range. This setting is used to specify the pitch bend range to use when converting fine pitch changes to MIDI. The
Pitch Bend Range value is specified in semitones and the range is 1-24. The default value is 2 semitones.

Can someone tell me how I can set the pitch bend range higher than 2 semitones?

Edited by DallasSteve

Never mind.  I figured this out.  Maybe I should delete this question, but I will explain if someone else may have this question in the future.

Scott's reply above is correct.  I was demoing the clips in the Media library window (screenshot below).  In that window the pitch bend is set to 2 semi-tones.  When you drag the clip onto a MIDI track it will bend based on the bend range set in the VST (Kontakt in my case).  So if I want to have different pitch bends in my project I will need to set Kontakt's bend range to the maximum and then adjust the amount of bend in the clip to use all or part of that range.

So, does anyone know if the amount of bend (0 - 8192) is a straight line or a curve?  That is, if I set my max bend range to 4 semi-tones and I only want to raise a note 2 semi-tones (one half), would I set the max value to 4096 or some other value?  Are there maybe some pre-programmed MIDI clips on the Internet that already set wheel events to partial bends?  I'm looking at taking a full bend and editing the events one at a time, which I don't want to do.

Cakewalk.jpg

Edited by DallasSteve
  • Like 1

Here are my notes from when I was fooling with non-standard pitch bends.  It allowed the joystick on my keyboard to bend different amounts.

Pitch Bend:

8191 Max up bend.
0 No bend.
-8192 Max down bend.

4096 = Semitone

Full Range: 0 to 16383

Enter RPN 0 for pitch bend sensitivity

For data, each semitone is 128

Octave: 1536
Hole note: 256 (default)
3 Semitones: 384

• Like 1