SAMSUNG 870 QVO Series 2.5" 2TB SATA III Samsung 4-bit MLC V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-77Q2T0B/AM

cclarry

20 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Anyone else tempted by this?

NO!

I jumped on the 4TB QVO back in September, did a little research and canceled. 
My numbers are probably wrong, someone will correct me, but if I understand it right;

a Pro (do I have that right?) is 1TB, the same EVO 2TB is the same drive putting to bits of data on the same spot, the QVO is 4TB puts four bits of data on the same spot. Looks like a recipe for long term problems to me. 
I’m sure I have over simplified this, maybe even misinterpreted; someone will set me straight. 
t

14 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

NO!

I jumped on the 4TB QVO back in September, did a little research and canceled. 
My numbers are probably wrong, someone will correct me, but if I understand it right;

a Pro (do I have that right?) is 1TB, the same EVO 2TB is the same drive putting to bits of data on the same spot, the QVO is 4TB puts four bits of data on the same spot. Looks like a recipe for long term problems to me. 
I’m sure I have over simplified this, maybe even misinterpreted; someone will set me straight. 
t

It all comes down to the number of writes you can make.  SSD's have a limited number of erase/writes to each "spot".  If any of those four bits in the QVO changes, it has to rewrite all four bits,  whereas the Pro would only need to write the one.

So it's not gonna last as long if you use it for your OS drive, but if you're using it mainly for reading (e.g. for samples), then it should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1