Turn off Tempo Map

Juan Libertella

Do you mean remove any tempo changes?  You can open the temp view and select and delete all the nodes. If you want to keep the temp changes but not have audio files follow the changes you have to select the audio clips and in the property inspector on the left unclick follow tempo.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Inspectors.5.html#1194448

10 minutes ago, Juan Libertella said:

My idea is to deactivate the tempo map momentarily to be able to record MIDI tracks following a fixed tempo and then activate the tempo map again.

I don't follow this logic? If you turn off the tempo map and record midi then turn it on the midi will be out of since to what ever you recorded using the tempo map. The whole idea behind creating a tempo map from say dragging an audio clip to the timeline, is so then midi will follow the audio in sync to the grid. Midi will always follow the tempo changes if you play along with the metronome and then quantize to fix any timing errors. 

Edited by Jack Cat
  • Like 1

I could see how disabling the tempo could be useful if the entire work is midi, originally played to or entered against a fixed tempo, say 100bpm, and properly aligned (beats/measures). If tempo changes are subsequently introduced to simulate rubato, fermati or ritards, for example, you could conceivably disable the tempo map and the piece would play at the initial tempo straight through still properly aligned and you wouldn't have to contend with subtle tempo changes while playing. I do manual tempo programming, since all my tracks are midi. Sometimes it would be handy to disable it.

Edited by billp

6 hours ago, Jack Cat said:

If you turn off the tempo map and record midi then turn it on the midi will be out of sinc

We may be misunderstanding the intention of the OP.  He may have recorded everything to a fixed tempo and then added tempo changes afterward. If that's the case then there would be no problem temporarily bypassing the tempo map. Unfortunately, such an option has not been implemented, afaik.  

• Like 1

I've rarely had to do this, but when I have, I've just:

• Inserted a new slower tempo 4 measures after the end of the project
  • recorded what I needed to there
  • moved the clip back to where I wanted it
  • deleted the tempo entry at the end

Either that, or just recorded it in separate project and copied/pasted it back.

The tempo map itself cannot be bypassed, as literally all timing calculation within the engine depends on it.  

15 hours ago, billp said:

Pude ver cómo deshabilitar el tempo podría ser útil si todo el trabajo es midi, originalmente reproducido o ingresado contra un tempo fijo, digamos 100 bpm, y alineado correctamente (tiempos / compases). Si posteriormente se introducen cambios de tempo para simular rubato, fermati o ritards, por ejemplo, posiblemente podría deshabilitar el mapa de tempo y la pieza se reproduciría en el tempo inicial de forma continua aún alineada correctamente y no tendría que lidiar con cambios de tempo sutiles. mientras juego. Hago programación manual de tempo, ya que todas mis pistas son midi. A veces sería útil desactivarlo.

Exactly, I am referring to projects with only Midi channels, I believe that I would facilitate the recording, for example if a guest musician participates or if after listening to the final result I decide to make modifications to the tempo map.
I think it would be helpful if this feature could be implemented, thanks to all of you.

This is why I almost never insert tempo events into MIDI-only projects until I'm happy with the composition, performance and arrangement.

At some point you have  to take the plunge and pronounce the composition "done" and then move on to mixing. Not everybody works that way, but it's a methodology that's served me well for a very long time.

Here's another way to work on this.

1 - Open the tempo track
2 - Right click drag to select all the nodes
3 - Ctrl-X to cut them
4 - Play the piece with no tempo map
5 - When done, move the cursor to the start of the project then Ctrl-V

You could also cut just a selection and paste to a new project, then copy and paste back, for example.

Edited by Kevin Perry