DIY Pie

Shane_B.

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

Yeah. Then he'll claim that pork chops, ham, and bacon all come from one magical beast.

I've often wondered how hungry the first guy who ever looked at a pig covered in...let's say mud...and wondered what it tasted like must have been.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

I guess that name must sound more appetising in German...  😀

😁

I just checked and I spelled it wrong. Actually it's both ways but the traditional way is Shoo-fly. I also see some people make it in a cast iron skillet which I forgot about. My mom cooked a lot in cast iron skillets. You just can't fry scrapple any other way than in cast iron. What's scrapple you ask? It's all the stuff leftover from a hog once it's butchered. It's ground up in to a gray paste. Grizzle hair and all. You fry it in lard or butter. Best served with breakfast smothered in molasses. Those Germans sure knew how to eat I tell ya. This pic is a real Shoo-fly pie. The crispy bottom must be due to the iron skillet.

Shoofly-Chocolate-Pie_EXPS_PPP19_39505_C04_03_2b-1.jpg

16 hours ago, craigb said:

*Pfffft!*  Next Paulo will say that playing darts wasn't invented in America!  😜

TBF I think the game was actually based on the method US Military strategists used to determine who they were going to shoot at next. The Brits just refined it by substituting the world map with the dartboard, removing the players blindfolds and making getting drunk while doing it optional (although still highly recommended)

😀

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

You just can't fry scrapple any other way than in cast iron. What's scrapple you ask? It's all the stuff leftover from a hog once it's butchered. It's ground up in to a gray paste. Grizzle hair and all. You fry it in lard or butter. Best served with breakfast smothered in molasses.

I guess that also has to taste much better than it sounds. I'll remain forever happy to take your word for it though.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 3:24 AM, paulo said:

I guess that also has to taste much better than it sounds. I'll remain forever happy to take your word for it though.

I baked this today and was thinking of you paulo. Weird to know a 50 year old man wearing an apron was baking in his kitchen half way around the world thinking of you isn't it. I'm just kidding. I'm not quite half way around the world. Anyhoo ... here is a museum quality slice of Pennsylvania Dutch Shoofly Pie. I baked it myself. The secret is the cast iron. Perfect crispy flaky crust. Slightly gooey in the corners and a thin gooey layer on the bottom, perfectly baked in the middle, and crumble on top. Mmm.

20211212_174559_HDR.thumb.jpg.7b582c2deec178abac1e3300770052b8.jpg

20211212_170512_HDR.jpg.650fc688456ea72eac54076171ec8bdd.jpg

5 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I baked this today and was thinking of you paulo. Weird to know a 50 year old man wearing an apron was baking in his kitchen half way around the world thinking of you isn't it.

No, no......not at all........

Well, ok,  a little...but you made me a pie, so as long as there's some cream to go with it....

At least it wasn't a butcher's apron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:46 AM, paulo said:

The idea is that the saying is often misinterpreted to mean that apple pie is as quintessentially American as anything can be, invented by Americans for Americans if you like, where in fact it was something that pre-existed what we know today as America and was something that was brought to America by the people of other nations that settled there, so by saying that something is "as American as apple pie" it's really like saying that it's not really American, that it's origins lie elsewhere.

Something like that anyway.

If you asked Chekov Apple Pies originated in Russia... Just sayin.....

• Like 1