Sinatra properly T-Pain'd

bitflipper

I upgraded to Melodyne Studio 5 a few months ago and just got a chance to give it a try last night. I tried it on an old band demo that had the backups mixed down on to one track on the tape machine. Melodyne scanned the mixed down transfer and separated the two vocal parts that were in a single wave file and I was able to fix pitch problems on each individual vocal. It completely blew my mind.

TPAIN has a Twitch channel. He's been coming up in my recommended list lately. It's interesting to see how he mixes and works on his music. Not my cup of tea but I can respect the process and the fact that some people like it.

I had one of these (Antares Autotune):

Antares-AVP-1-Autotune-vocal-processor-r

I found it to be a very valuable tool because I always over-cooked it ("Cher Style") when recording my friends attempting to sing.  It only took one playback to save the ears of many potential listeners! 🤣

11 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

i enjoyed that, but i think the imperfections of vocals are basically the same as the imperfections from analog gear? is there a plugin to undo pitch correction (like all these plugs that add "analog warmth")? :D

It's actually the same plugin. You just have to actually know what you are doing to undo the damage that someone did who didn't know what they were doing.

I really liked V-Vocal. It seems I could do things with it that were more useful to me than what I can do with Melodyne. More in Mel but what was on vvocal seemed to serve me better if that makes any sense. Probably not. Lol

This video is a prime example of why I groan when i see responses to inquiries about autotune with "learn to sing". Autotune will not make a bad singer sing well and "singing well" is definitely more than the technical sum of proper pitch. It's an overused effect in pop music but audiences will eventually decide they had enough.