Yay!! CraigB (ITIHRN) finally says something genuinely almost witty 😁

I keed I keed. It was pretty sh1te 😊

*Makes note to remember what that tosspot said...* 💩

😜 

I feel suitably chastised 🤐

• 6 months later...

"Sticky" Snark tuner FIX

Hi there,
If you're one of the unfortunate owners of a "sticky" Snark tuner, there's good news for you! 😁
I've managed to find an effective and easy way to remove the nasty goo and restore the original feel and smoothness of the tuner's body.
I had already tried out unsuccessfully the many different methods suggested around, like a) using alcohol (either ethyl- or isopropyl-) that proves uneffective in dissolving that particular compound or b) dish-washing soap, that doesn't wash off anything or c) mildly abrasive methods like baking soda or toothpaste that end up jumbling with the goo or, finally, d) more aggressive solvents risking to damage the thing for good.
I was about to give up when, after some thought, I envisioned a possible solution in finding some chemical showing affinity with the sticky substance and thus being able to chemically blend with it. The answer came to me under the form of... glycerol (C3H8O3)
So, unless your Snark flew into the trashbin meanwhile, it's time to get to work!

1) Rummage your wife's makeup cabinet (well, better ask her permission first...) in search for any hand cream. Look up into the composition list for the highest glycerol or glycerin content (it should be the first ingredient, or just second to "aqua") and go for the thicker one.
2) Have a piece of cloth or rag handy. It has to be made of very compact, lint-free fabric, like the cotton of an old t-shirt.
3) Apply a very, very thin coat of cream to the sticky surface, spread it gently and let it rest for a minute.
4) Using the cloth under one of your fingertips, begin from one corner of the surface and little by little start to "push away" the sticky compound. You'll have to exert some good pressure, until feeling the drag of the cotton surface rubbing against the goo.
5) Proceed ensuring that at each sweep some dirt remains on cloth, leaving a clean and smooth surface underneath. Work on small zones, moving to a new, clean part of the cloth each time.
6) Repeat the cream-sweep procedure if necessary, insisting on any stubborn corner.
7) Finish with a dry-cloth nice rub until everything's polished and smooth...

Et voilà!

This way I was able to get a brand new Snark, except for the few silkscreen writings that got unavoidably lost in the process.
Let me know if it worked also from you!

Roberto

Edited by Roberto Martini
Added title
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 12:59 PM, Shane_B. said:

Tri-Flo

We used to use it on the scanner rails on copiers until we realized that the teflon separates from the fluid carrier and becomes sticky over time.

Tri-Flo?

copier rails?

sounds oddly familiar……..

Xeroid?

50 minutes ago, Doc H said:

Tri-Flo?

copier rails?

sounds oddly familiar……..

Xeroid?

I was a Panasonic guy myself but got forced in to Canon and Ricoh when I moved from NJ to IA. Panasonic made the best copiers imo. But they knew it and charged more and wouldn't budge when the price wars came. The bean counters in offices didn't care about how well they ran or how great the color copies and prints were. The bean counters just looked at the bottom line and that drove Panasonic out of business. Anything Panasonic is superior to almost everything else but you do pay more. What I like about them is their parts department is the same for end user as service centers. They will sell any part for any of their products to anyone to repair it themselves. I don't know of anyone else who does that.

I worked on office equipment over 20 years. Took a job as a manager, the economy tanked, the business closed, I couldn't get back in to the industry, the wife lost her job in IA, found her dream job in MO, I couldn't find a job here because the economy was still dead, been out of the workforce so long now nobody will even talk to me, plus my age. So I'm stuck just waiting for the tall dark boney dude with the scythe to come a' callin'.

56 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I was a Panasonic guy myself but got forced in to Canon and Ricoh when I moved from NJ to IA. Panasonic made the best copiers imo. But they knew it and charged more and wouldn't budge when the price wars came. The bean counters in offices didn't care about how well they ran or how great the color copies and prints were. The bean counters just looked at the bottom line and that drove Panasonic out of business. Anything Panasonic is superior to almost everything else but you do pay more. What I like about them is their parts department is the same for end user as service centers. They will sell any part for any of their products to anyone to repair it themselves. I don't know of anyone else who does that.

I worked on office equipment over 20 years. Took a job as a manager, the economy tanked, the business closed, I couldn't get back in to the industry, the wife lost her job in IA, found her dream job in MO, I couldn't find a job here because the economy was still dead, been out of the workforce so long now nobody will even talk to me, plus my age. So I'm stuck just waiting for the tall dark boney dude with the scythe to come a' callin'.

Explains the copier references. I spent 8 years on the technical side of xerox high volume business then crossed over to color printing  system sales. Then software sales. Ended up a casualty of the Great Recession. 

Physical issues cropped up soon after. Kinda put an end to working a regular job. Plus the age thing. Companies don’t like to invest in folks who have gotten beyond 50 these days.

So now it’s back to the passion of music. Not that I make any money at it. But it passes the time. 

3 hours ago, Doc H said:

Explains the copier references. I spent 8 years on the technical side of xerox high volume business then crossed over to color printing  system sales. Then software sales. Ended up a casualty of the Great Recession. 

Physical issues cropped up soon after. Kinda put an end to working a regular job. Plus the age thing. Companies don’t like to invest in folks who have gotten beyond 50 these days.

So now it’s back to the passion of music. Not that I make any money at it. But it passes the time. 

Xerox could never get a hold in IA. Canon was God in the High Volume arena there. KM tried. They are what drove me out. Stupid things like software issues not allowing you to lift the doc feed all the way or it would throw a code and lock the machine down. And no update to fix it. It was an absolute nightmare working on them.

I had one offer working for Ricoh. I would have had to drive to downtown KC every day. 1.5 hour drive 1 way. Then drive around the city all day. They offered me my tenure from when I worked for the company they bought out and a 50% pay reduction. I told them to stick it the recycling bin.

What I find odd about the age thing is, people are living longer, in better health older, younger people don't want to work anymore, and I can't even get a temp job at a factory. That was when I was 40.

In my experience, once you are passed 35 you are screwed with a capital F if you have to switch careers and start over. I had to do it twice. I survived the first time at 28. Didn't make it the 2nd time at 40. The world has changed and not for the better. There are too many people and too many of them don't want to work and the people that do somehow seem to be getting swept under the rug. That's the upside down world we live in now days.

The only way either my wife or I will ever get ahead is when one of us dies and the other loses the expense of the other and gets their insurance money. It's sad.

Edited by Shane_B.
Fixed typo.