Breakthroughs in Audio/Music of the Last Years

Logan_4600

Hello everyone! It's great to have the new forum!

So, to you guys always following new toys, news, trying plugins, effects, hardware (you get the idea, ha!), what do you think are the most remarkable advancements in Audio from the last 4 or 5 years? Simple as that! Effects, Improvements, Plugins, DAWs, anything!

I'm going to throw one. Virtual cabs and guitars amps in general, they improved so so much tone and gain wise (Heck, the IK Mesa´s are the real deal for me)

So, that's it! I´ll hear ya' all!

Edited by Logan_4600

I'm going to toot up Audio Damage's Quanta. Sure granular synthesis is not a new thing by now means, but what Quanta brings to the table is a million times more musical than anythin before it. It changed the way I saw granular things and made me try out new things on other granular plugins as well. There is something very casual about how Quanta treats granularity giving it an ease that is not present in other granular devices.

18 hours ago, Kuusniemi said:

I'm going to toot up Audio Damage's Quanta. Sure granular synthesis is not a new thing by now means, but what Quanta brings to the table is a million times more musical than anythin before it. It changed the way I saw granular things and made me try out new things on other granular plugins as well. There is something very casual about how Quanta treats granularity giving it an ease that is not present in other granular devices.

I'm no synth man, but, I've recently tried Syntorial, and was very surprised by it. Maybe, with a more solid tought on synths I could give it a try

56 minutes ago, Logan_4600 said:

Is really that good? How do you think is a breakthrough product comparing it to other suits like IK´s T-Racks o Waves Bundles?

Neither of those suites (and I own both full boat products) has anything close in power to Neutron and Total Balance.

JMO.

Skald, if you sing harmonies to a lead vocal, you can use Melodyne Studio to show all vocals at once, then you can pitch correct, and phrase correct very easily.  If your backup vocals are not phrased correctly, you can use the lead vocal to realign the start and end points of your backup vox.  You can even stretch or shrink a phrase to match the lead vocal.  The same is true if your aligning any other instrument like doubled lead guitar lines.  Very  handy if you work with more than one part at a time. 

On 12/30/2018 at 6:24 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Skald, if you sing harmonies to a lead vocal, you can use Melodyne Studio to show all vocals at once, then you can pitch correct, and phrase correct very easily.  If your backup vocals are not phrased correctly, you can use the lead vocal to realign the start and end points of your backup vox.  You can even stretch or shrink a phrase to match the lead vocal.  The same is true if your aligning any other instrument like doubled lead guitar lines.  Very  handy if you work with more than one part at a time. 

thanks. Yeah that sounds like a really good thing. 

There are some fantastic new acoustic guitar pickup systems on the market now that actually do sound like a mic'ed guitar without the feedback. It's primarily made playing live gigs a joyful event, but they also have their uses in the studio, not to mention live albums.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:32 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

Melodyne Studio and Midi Guitar 2 are the big ones for me.  Being able to trigger samples from my guitar without modifying the guitar is invaluable.  I'm just now starting to learn and use Superior Drummer 3, which seems to be a big advancement for non-drummers like me.

So true. Some years ago looked like only Keys/Keyboards guys had the chance to all of midi had to offer. Great for you!

Either way, I was so tired of click programming (with an absolute obsession on 'realism') my drums that I bought an E-Drum, and actually learned to play drums, really fun (and time saving)

On 12/30/2018 at 10:54 AM, ØSkald said:

I got the  Melodyne Edit, but is the studio worth it? I mean what do you really use the more than one track funktion to? Yeah it takes time to load up Edit on  21 tracks of backup vocals. But are there other uses?

Melodyne's the guy! hahaha I was never quite comfortable with autotune or v-vocals, I thing gui wise and sound wise, Melodyne really nailed it

On 1/1/2019 at 1:31 PM, Will Hackett said:

There are some fantastic new acoustic guitar pickup systems on the market now that actually do sound like a mic'ed guitar without the feedback. It's primarily made playing live gigs a joyful event, but they also have their uses in the studio, not to mention live albums.

Could you name a few ones so I can check them out? (I'm always eager for new guitar gimmicks!)

On 12/29/2018 at 7:44 PM, msmcleod said:

For me:

• Melodyne
  • The option for Mid/Side processing being more common place in plugins
  • The quality of analog modelling in plugins

Like I said above, Melodyne really nailed it.

I'm still learning on m/s, but is true, you see lots of more m/s options nowadays.

And, absolutley, from UAD to Slate, from Ik to Waves, their newer analog modellings all had high praise from people that actually used their analog counterparts.

2 hours ago, Logan_4600 said:

Could you name a few ones so I can check them out? (I'm always eager for new guitar gimmicks!)

Well, they've been around a for a few years now, but I think the LR Baggs Anthem is amazing. Highlander also has a great sounding system, but it's much more invasive--requires routing a small channel within the saddle slot. Both are 2-way systems with a UST combined with an internal mic, but they work very differently.

Edited by Will Hackett