ticking noise when recording

Brian Johnston

I had a similar thing happening with my recently purchased Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. After days of testing with help from Focusrite support, including replacement unit sent out from them, it turned out to be a USB driver playing up. Deleting the drivers and re-installing from scratched cured it. Sometimes it can be the simplest of things but these audio glitches can be so annoying.

I worked out that if the "clicking" is a regular time and does not change with the tempo of the project it may be hardware / driver related.

Whilst your issue might not be the same it's worth taking a considered approach to testing things as it can save a lot of time.

Change your interface onto a different USB bus if available. Then test again.

Try changing samples / buffers settings. Then test again.

Check and try different sample rates if your hardware supports them. I always use 48Khz or above. 44Khz can sometimes have strange anomalies like you describe.

Work through any possible options that could be in your audio path and test options available. If any changes don't rectify it always revert back and then move onto the next possible option. Always .... and this is important ... don't go changing more than one things at each stage of testing. You could introduce something else into the equation and make tracking down the cause of your issue more complicated.

Edited by NealClark

22 minutes ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Could it be your metronome?

I did answer your question above, but you can hear that minor crackling even when nothing is playing.  It's not the speakers, etc., as I can play outside Cakewalk and there's no problem.  I tried a number of things with no luck, but will continue to fiddle around.

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Process of elimination.

Start with a fresh project and see if the noise is there. If not then it's something, likely a plug in,  in the problem project. 

That may have been it. I opened a previous project and recorded no problem.  I hope it's not a plug-in... I got a few new soft synths that are friggin' cool and I want to use them.

59 minutes ago, Brian Johnston said:

I hope it's not a plug-in... I got a few new soft synths that are friggin' cool and I want to use them.

I recently purchased the Arturia V7 Collection of synths, which is excellent, and I was using the B3  and found a prominent hum, which was authentic but annoying, thankfully there was a control to turn it down.  Maybe something similar is happening with you?

32 minutes ago, tonemangler said:

I recently purchased the Arturia V7 Collection of synths, which is excellent, and I was using the B3  and found a prominent hum, which was authentic but annoying, thankfully there was a control to turn it down.  Maybe something similar is happening with you?

Thanks, I'll look into that (should be working with the software this weekend, although I've already installed it as a plug-in).

• 2 years later...

I’m having this problem also. In addition, when I increase the Buffer size the ticking gets slower, but it never goes away, I cannot change the Buffer in Playback like I could on a standalone version I had, it’s in 2

• Confused 1