What Streaming Services Pay Artists

Vernon Barnes

5 hours ago, craigb said:

Not even me! 😆

3 hours ago, synkrotron said:

*snif* :(

Maybe if it's a codpiece...

Just keep the music coming and you can sell the swag to others Andy! 😁

This is the last bit of swag I bought actually...  More than seven years ago!

CHB-SWAG.jpg

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:08 PM, synkrotron said:

Been there, done that.

So you know then that streaming services are just vanity projects for non-gigging musicians, right? 🤷‍♂️

What I'm getting at is this - back in the day, radio served a purpose, to get people to hear music which they would then go out and buy or go and see live. The whole idea of radio was to get product to the listeners. That is why I used the example of labels playing the system by buying their own product to get in into the charts.

If Spotify etc. are the new radio, what is their purpose? To guide people toward our product? This can be CDs or videos or merchandise or live gigs. If you are not gigging or selling CDs then it's just a vanity project because you are not really selling anything. It's just to massage the artist's ego. This doesn't have to be seen negatively. Many great works of art have been vanity projects.  😉

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wibbles said:

Apparently we're not allowed to do this just for fun then.

Of course we're allowed to have fun. That's why we make music. But the moment someone asks about streaming services (the topic of this thread by the way), they need to ask themselves the question - why are you putting it on a streaming service?

I remember years ago when I used to send out demos to my favorite labels, there was one in particular that had a disclaimer: "Before you send us a demo, you need to know - you will not make any money with us. " they then supplied a link to an unsigned musician  (I don't know if it still exists) saying...'If your aim is to get as many people as possible to hear your music, we are not the way to do that. If your aim is to get as many people as possible to listen to your music without making any money, maybe you should follow his example'. What was it?

This was a musician who came to the conclusion that if he charged for his music he would restrict the number of people who could listen to it, and since he had a good job (scientist) and didn't need the money, he gave it away for free. He figured he could reach as many listeners as he was able to burn CDs for. He distributed his music to anyone who showed interest and gave away thousands and thousands of CDs - to put this into context, my first single made it onto a few charts and the label only ever pressed 500 copies. I had a friend who made it to Number 1 on the indie charts in the UK with under 500 sales back in pre streaming days.  Chart sales are very subjective.

Having your music up on a streaming service does not guarantee someone will listen to it. In many ways the streaming services are designed exactly the same as radio used to be in the old days - those already getting huge numbers of plays, continue to get huge numbers of plays.  Those who get none, continue to get none. That is why people pay to get false play numbers, or pay to get into playlists. Once you're in, you might see an increase in plays. But then, that goes against the idea of fun, right? Unless fun for you means shelling out money to get bots to listen to your music? Those who have made it on Spotify (the posterboy and girls) usually do so because they already had a local following. They had some exposure beyond the streaming services. They work on their product.

So, if fun was the real aim here, why not do what I often do - give it all away for free. If you have bandcamp, you can give everything away for free - you can even gift your music directly to people yourself from bandcamp (I've done it myself as a way of saying thanks). You don't have to charge - you don't even need to know who got it for free (don't request email)....unless it is (in a little way) about the prestige of making a few bucks off your music....and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. Just admit it to yourself, is all I'm saying.

Or go one step beyond this - print up 100 CDs and give them out to friends, family, locals in the street. Spend an afternoon on a street corner near the record stores (if they still exist) or outside a venue and give away your music. Chances are, more people will actually listen to your stuff than will ever listen to it on streaming services this way. You might even direct traffic to your bandcamp page and make some dosh too. 

I am not criticizing anyone's decision to put stuff up on streaming services....I do it myself. what I am saying is, we shouldn't kid ourselves about our motives. And we shouldn't kid ourselves that it is in any way the route to being heard. As the founder of Audio Cafe once said in an interview 'in the 90s everyone started giving their content away for free and the consumer expect this now - the only ones making money anymore are those who designed the tools to releasing it'

Edited by Philip G Hunt

3 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

And that is supposed to impress me?

Synkrotron never tries to impress anybody. You would know that if you'd listened to his music. :D

Sorry andy, didn't really mean that.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

Synkrotron never tries to impress anybody. You would know that if you'd listened to his music. :D

I didn't mean to get snarky, but when someone flips you the finger after you've just spent a good bit of your time writing a message mainly for them.....well!