Presonus Fat Channel Updates available

cclarry

Is the new business model to make a DAW with nice plugins, then ask people to buy your DAW just to access those plugins in other DAWs ? :)

Are we headed into a future where you buy 10 different DAWs just so you can use their signature plugins in Pro Tools, Cubase or Ableton ?

19 minutes ago, Cristian said:

Is the new business model to make a DAW with nice plugins, then ask people to buy your DAW just to access those plugins in other DAWs ? :)

Are we headed into a future where you buy 10 different DAWs just so you can use their signature plugins in Pro Tools, Cubase or Ableton ?

You can buy the Presonus Plugins without buying the DAW....just FYI

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cristian said:

this is not new, for example cakewalk/sonar has had "locked in" plugins for years, nevermind the pro channel, and ableton's default plugs have never been avaiable in other daws, same with reason

• Like 1

You do need the PreSonus Hub thingy to use their plugins in other DAW's though I believe (I think its free), and you would require Fat Channel XT to begin with before you can get the extra EQ's and Comps.

I only use Studio One, I got the whole Fat Channel collection, they are all very good quality plugs. Personally I haven't bothered downloading and installing the Hub thingy, going to stay away from it as long as possible, hope it doesn't become necessary, I don't need to use any of the PreSonus plugins in another DAW because I only use Studio One so I haven't needed it thus far.

• Like 2

i think the hub thingy is their version of the bandlab assistant, for using the plugs in non-so daws (i assume it, or similar, is built into so as it does the whole online check thing when launching), or izotope's thingy, or arturia's thingy, or ni's thingy... everything is going the way of thingies

• Like 2

I suppose you can buy the Presonus plugins separately, but for most people using them today, they likely have Studio One Pro.
Couple this with Reason's new model (giving up on rewire and creating a VST version of itself)

And obviously Ableton's plugins will remain exclusive, it's one of the big DAWs.

1 hour ago, Cristian said:

I suppose you can buy the Presonus plugins separately, but for most people using them today, they likely have Studio One Pro.
Couple this with Reason's new model (giving up on rewire and creating a VST version of itself)

And obviously Ableton's plugins will remain exclusive, it's one of the big DAWs.

This is where I like Reaper.  It was designed for 3rd party plugins. I guess all of the DAW developers figured out after buying a DAW they need throw in stuff for making music out of the box since a user may not have any money left to buy 3rd party plugins.  Tascam figured that out with Gigastudio 3.  I remember buying Gigastudio 2 and looking at the prices of libraries threw me off.

I had the hub for awhile not really knowing what it was. Decided to check it a few days back.  They throw in a guitar amp sim and the Fat channel for free. For kicks I threw it into Cakewalk and it worked well.  On the same level as some of the Waves plugins to my ears. I believe there are plugin chains in the Fat Channel which make it very convenient to use for different applications fast.

I go back and forth between different DAWs,  find it much more efficient to compose in Cakewalk most of the time.  I wonder if I could put the hub into the Pro Channel ?.........now there's a thought! The Pro Channel is a nice tool kit and seems more centralized to the track than the Fat Channel  IMHO. Like an actual, part of  each channel.The most recent PC update adding presets competes well with Presonus Hub/Fat Channel.  It would be easy to run an A/B comparison to see how they compare.

I love choices and never have we had so many.

Edited by Starise