Acustica Taupe (Personal Review)

cclarry

On 4/15/2020 at 3:36 AM, cclarry said:

On sale right now for 109 Euros...cheaper if you have 
an Acustica Customer Discount code...BUY IT! 

I just pulled the Demo on this and HOLY MOLY!  IMO, it's
THE BEST I've ever heard!!!  Yes it's a bit CPU heavy, and the GUI is bit unintuitive, but I've never, ever, heard a better
Tape Simulation ITB, the Console EQ's are great, and the compressors are very nice....it's actually 21
Tape Emulations, 3 Consoles, and 2 Compressors, and ALL can be used separately
or in a Channel Rack, and it's a STEAL at this price
https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/taupe

I agree with you about impressions :)

This thing was the only tape thing which did some magically un-harsh annoying parts in heavy guitar sound for me.

I was just switching between different types of tapes not touching even settings and bum... harshness disappeared...

With other tape sims I tried lot of time used and still was something I needed to fight with EQ.

But true, to use anything from Acustica some mental switching in workflow is needed and... increasing buffers significantly...

So anybody who never use it should definitely try demo to verify if it is for her/him.

Larry, I am curious if Acustica ever consider in future doing unison version of their plugs? ;)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Piotr said:

This thing was the only tape thing which did some magically un-harsh annoying parts in heavy guitar sound for me.

I was just switching between different types of tapes not touching even settings and bum... harshness disappeared...

With other tape sims I tried lot of time used and still was something I needed to fight with EQ.

But true, to use anything from Acustica some mental switching in workflow is needed and... increasing buffers significantly...

So anybody who never use it should definitely try demo to verify if it is for her/him.

Larry, I am curious if Acustica ever consider in future doing unison version of their plugs? ;)

Are you speaking of "Unison" for UAD?  That would be incredible, but I seriously doubt it Piotr....

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Are you speaking of "Unison" for UAD?  That would be incredible, but I seriously doubt it Piotr....

Yep, I remember you have UAD interface you love ;)

Why I have no plans about investing in UAD and any possible ones are efficiently killed when I am looking at prices  I am crossing fingers for development whole platform UAD+LUNA as I like the concept very much...

I do hate changing buffers, loosing at latency, switching to different apps etc... I wish it was similar but more economic  solution.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piotr said:

I briefly used it last night and just played around with the presets....there was so much more clarity    on my guitar tracks and just sounded very good in the mix.

You're right Piotr, I couldn't wrap my head around the way it works,    and will look around for some tutorials before I get this....impressed indeed.   

A nice review on the functions....is there a way to get that list he talks about in the 1:25 mark?

Edited by Mesh
  • Like 2

Fwiw I bought it. Not reading the manual, I youtube some guy using just the eq, monkey copied those settings he was dialing in, on the master bus of a song in working on.

Bass got immediately more sustain, yet tighter in focus. Glued the tracks nicely together. Sounded professional. More clarity as well.

That was just the eq on the master bus ... No idea what's going on but in this application it sounded to me like an ssl compressor only it didn't really raise the noise floor.

I did detect some mashed drum transients but I took another compressor off the drums and things calmed down.

Ok, I know, who cares. Guess it's time to read the manual.

• Like 2