Cant pull down all the gain knobs at once with all tracks selected?

Simon Webster

Question

Im trying to turn all of the tracks gain down in a projected all selected at once by pressing CTRL, but it will only pull down the gain of the track im doing it on. I can select a group of tracks of about 5 or so and it will turn down those together, but not with all of the tracks, any reason why this is happening?

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Simon Webster said:

Im trying to turn all of the tracks gain down in a projected all selected at once by pressing CTRL, but it will only pull down the gain of the track im doing it on. I can select a group of tracks of about 5 or so and it will turn down those together, but not with all of the tracks, any reason why this is happening?

Quick grouping no longer works, it was done away with over a year ago. 

You must select all the tracks you want to adjust then hold down Ctrl.

3 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Quick grouping without selection no longer works, it was done away with over a year ago. 

- fixed that for you :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Do you mean quick grouping is back?

AFAIK it never went away, at least not in it's current form.  I think there was a time many years ago where it worked slightly differently, but certainly selecting then holding CTRL while you do your operation should invoke Quick Grouping on whatever you're doing.

It is done on a case-by-case basis though, so there may be areas that it's not supported.  This is likely just an error of omission, although there could also be valid reasons - but please report any outliers in any case.

This is quick group working on track gain:

QuickGroupGain.gif

@msmcleod I think you are talking to the wrong person, your graphic just validated what I said.

6 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Quick grouping no longer works, it was done away with over a year ago. 

See what I said you must select the tracks you want to adjust then hold Ctrl to adjust them together.  Which is what you video shows.

The way quick grouping worked historically you just held down Ctrl, grabbed, with your mouse, a knob and all similar controls would be adjusted. That was removed pre Sonar release.

This is a most confusing topic.

My understanding of Quick Grouping has always (in 6 years of using CbB and Sonar) been that you select the tracks you want to participate in the Quick Group, then hold Ctrl and grab whatever control you want to adjust on all of the selected tracks.

Am I to understand that it used to adjust similar controls for all  tracks in a project regardless of selection status??

That would make it pretty much useless for me. I'm glad it was changed.

Just like exporting with no selection exports everything in the project, quick-grouping without a selection used to assume you wanted to affect every track when you held Ctrl. But users were occasionally getting themselves in trouble with it, so the behavior was changed to require a deliberate selection.