Export randomly mutes clips

Hi all...

just recently i have been working on some large projects with lots of Tracks/clips/vst fx etc

And its happened twice now that the export will either.... in the 1st instance UNmute a clip from a 

comped track and in the 2nd instance  MUTE a guitar clip...

As you can imagine this is a little disconcerting that i have to make sure that the Export is correct..

It is NOT operator error..

.The first time it happened i was willing to let it go but now its happened again

and ive picked up the error after the tracks have been submitted to the client and uploaded to Spotify for their album launch

needless to say they cannot reupload in time for the launch...(this makes me look incompetent)

So im wondering if this has happened to anybody else? AS far as i know its never happened to me before.

Thanks

are you using export tasks? if not, use them. you can set up the export with the exact set of tracks muted/unmuted etc the time range set the wya you want, etc. i usually create one for the WAV export and then use that to also create the MP3 version. also any stems or no vocal mixes, and of course from my recording template - tracks.

so - definitely take a few moment to set up the export task. you will find it makes things very repeatable and easy. one caveat - if you add tracks - you'll need to go into each export task (load existing settings) then edit to mute/unmute and then save the settings. if you remove tracks then usually you don't need to edit those.

Yes, this happened to me a few weeks ago. I always follow the same process when exporting final mixes, but in this instance a clip was missing from the exported file. Even after I verified the missing clip was playing properly in the project file, it just wouldn't play when exported. I don't remember how I fixed it -- might have bounced the clips in the problem track. I haven't run into this problem again since then.

I don't recall ever having audio completely omitted from an export that didn't turn out to be due to an oversight on my part or some kind of plugin misbehavior when fast-bouncing. But because these and other issues can happen, I always recommend bouncing the Master bus to a phase-inverted track that outputs directly to main outs and playing it through against the live mix on the Master bus to hear if there are any gross nulling failures. Unfrozen synths and FX that behave slightly differently from one render to the next may produce slight nulling failures, but a significant omission of audio content or automation processing should be obvious. If that checks out, you can export that 'Master Bounce' track in whataver format is required, and you have a reference copy saved inside the project.

and left-over automation - sometimes shift things around and forgetting about some automation (esp on a buss) can cause the dropouts. there have been a few times when i exported something and forgot i added 4-8 measures and left the volume drop on the print buss at the original location and ended up missing those... took a minute to remember the automation...

Posted (edited)

thanks for the replies...

I am exporting entire mix/entire project with all required trax selected.

Exporting offline with 200MS buffer size...i have intel 12700k with 32 g ram SSD Drives

so i dont think its a computer horsepower issue..

The first time ,i got a muted vocal that had unmuted itself therefore giving me an obvious double effect on the exported track

(yes i am sure it was muted)  that was easy to pick... 

The 2nd time it was a busy mix and a clip that was Hidden in the track manager  (by mistake) ...Didnt play

(maybe thats why?  but then again why?))

The track had already been uploaded to Spotify for their album launch ...guess who looks like an amateur?

Went back exported again and  presto the clip sounded..

The thing is I dont want to lose trust in CBB 

but if this happens again i must seriously consider switching with another DAW.

David Baay ..thats a very good idea about phase inverting the export...

Although i dont see why i should have to confirm the integrity of the export.

needless to say i cannot duplicate this fault as it is like i said..."Random"

Thanks for responding

PS   The  2 tracks in question had both been exported many times before on their journey to completion

without problems...and nothing has changed system wise ..no new plug ins etc and the

mangled (?) exports occurred on different days

Edited by Bassfaceus
addition

15 hours ago, Bassfaceus said:

I am exporting entire mix/entire project with all required trax selected.

The best way to ensure you get everything is to select nothing; CbB will include everything by default (including mistakenly hidden tracks) when nothing is selected. Also, I always recommend to  select Buses as Source Category, Ctrl+Shift+click one to deselect all, and then select only the Master and export that.

i dont see why i should have to confirm the integrity of the export.

The same reason F1 drivers wear helmets and fire-proof suits even though they are the best in the business and not planning to crash, and good carpenters measure twice and cut once. It's insurance against 'stuff' happening. Even if you and CbB do everything right every time (ha, ha, ha), plugins that don't play nice with fast bounce can throw a wrench in the works.

Edited by David Baay

Although i dont see why i should have to confirm the integrity of the export.

Isn't that what not amateurs do?
Anyone who completely trusts their machines to be perfect all the time is asking for trouble.

• Like 4

when you say, nothing changed - there were changes made in the project? or just opened and re-exporting it?

as far as trust but verify - regardless of the program - always: listen, proof read, check properties, etc etc to ensure: it's what was expected in all things - the title, textual content, audio content, video content, codecs, sample rates, bit depth, etc etc etc etc. unless this is purely for yourself.

as a working professional, you must check. computers are not to be trusted. especially if you're using any AI products. computers have 4 billion transistors, it's a miracle they even work. and software, well, hoo boy, where to start, but if you want bugs, check out the Mac OS 14.4.1 or the Studio One 6.6... 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
fixing misspelling & OS #

thanks all...

yes i do i check..  but when trax have so much orchestration ,as these do... they are 

for a musical so; many voices ,full band, horns and strings and subsidiary foley sounds...

its a little hard to keep on top of everything...

but yes it is up to me to check.. and i do to the best of my ability

having said that i dont need my tools to arbitrarily behave in random ways

and compound my anxiety....

Yes i check always ....the title, textual content, audio content, video content, codecs, sample rates, bit depth, etc etc etc etc

and i dont anticipate that clips being left out or added to be part of checking the integrity of the mix... I ALWAYS check my mixes...not an amatuer.

Anyway suffice to say that most of you of not had this happen to them

and  its only me....

Thanks for your suggestions and your time...

PS I never bounce out in real time...always offline

To answer your question, I've never had it happen to me, but I don't write such complicated pieces, rather, I write simple songs.
Even so, I always, always bounce down the song to another track in the project so I can compare and ensure it's how I want it. You discovered the error by listening to it, right?
I imagine it would make a person look bad if the work wasn't what the client asked for or is missing a detail that was required. Anyway, my comment above was about making sure it was ready before shipment.
Maybe report this to Cakewalk staff directly if you haven't already done so. Good luck!