Sonar 8.5 studio

Kim Cravens

Question

Hello all,

My music computer has been in storage for 30 months.....when I put it away I was running Windows Pro 8.1 with Sonar 8.5 Studio. I have updated to
Windows 10 and installed Bandlab Cakewalk but I haven't had time to explore the program.

Do I have to do anything special to open, edit and save my previous Sonar projects?  What about the plug-ins and software synths (Dimension Pro, EZ Drummer etc.) I was using?

Thanks for the help.

Kim

7 answers to this question

Everything should just be working in CbB as it was in Sonar 8.5. The main challenge will be getting up to speed with the 'Skylight' interface, but you will soon come to appreciate CbB's many, many new features and improvements. Have fun!

Install Sonar 8.5, then Cakewalk by Bandlab.  That way, your 8.5 plugins will be usable in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Consider upgrading to at least Windows 10 (preferably 11)

Edited by Promidi

3 hours ago, Promidi said:

Consider upgrading tin at least Windows 10

This. If your system can run Windows 8.1, Windows 10 should run at least as well if not better.

For the most part, you shouldn't expect projects that you save in Cakewalk by BandLab to open in 8.5. Projects saved in SONAR 8.5 should open in CbB, though.

Me thinks the OP already did...

8 hours ago, Kim Cravens said:

I have updated to Windows 10 and installed Bandlab Cakewalk but I haven't had time to explore the program.

@Kim Cravens Cakewalk by BandLab is soon to be obsolete so you might look into the New Sonar demo downloadable at the bottom of this page.

2 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Me thinks the OP already did...

@Kim Cravens Cakewalk by BandLab is soon to be obsolete so you might look into the New Sonar demo downloadable at the bottom of this page.

It it likely that Cakewalk by BandLab will still be usable (and activatable) for a while after Sonar is released.

See

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/67893-no-rollback-installer-for-the-202309/#comment-482849