No rollback installer for the 2023.09

gmp

I see in 2023.09 there's no rollback installer available for the 2023.09 release. Occasionally I find a bug in a new release that makes it necessary for me to  use the previous version. In this case 2022.11. I see there's some activation issue that may prevent this.  What options are there for this?

Whenever I install a new CbB I always save the installation file and as soon as I install it, I also then do all the Win 10 updates, then I save an Acronis image file. This way I can revert my C HD to that version.

I wonder how long an activation lasts and why Banklab is doing this. It's fairly rare but sometimes there's a show stopper bug that forces me to use an older version. I also use Launchpad, but I did forget to use it to save all the info for 2022.11 before installing.  After I installed 2023.09 I realized I forgot this and went ahead and copied Cakewalk Core for 2022.11 on my backup HD back to the Cakewalk folder, renaming it to "Cakewalk Core 2022 11" I also have the CW130Auto.dll file from the 2022.11. So I can manually do what launch pad does and open 2022.11 from the Cakewalk.exe in the "Cakewalk Core 2022 11" folder

My big question is what does the future hold. Is Bandlab going to let us use an old version of CbB? I heard someone mention that CbB will soon be a paid version. maybe once I've paid, I can revert to an old version. If anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, please chime in

I don’t think so. Anyone who buys Sonar shouldn’t have any reason to reactivate some old version of CbB. If some critical bug indeed would appear in Sonar after the six-month activation period of CbB has run out, I would expect the Bakers to do anything in their power to correct it in Sonar as soon as possible. I would not expect them to change the activation scheme of CbB.

But I will refrain from further speculation and wait for the official release.

2 hours ago, gmp said:

Whenever I install a new CbB I always save the installation file and as soon as I install it, I also then do all the Win 10 updates, then I save an Acronis image file. This way I can revert my C HD to that version.

I wonder how long an activation lasts and why Banklab is doing this. It's fairly rare but sometimes there's a show stopper bug that forces me to use an older version. I also use Launchpad, but I did forget to use it to save all the info for 2022.11 before installing.  After I installed 2023.09 I realized I forgot this and went ahead and copied Cakewalk Core for 2022.11 on my backup HD back to the Cakewalk folder, renaming it to "Cakewalk Core 2022 11" I also have the CW130Auto.dll file from the 2022.11. So I can manually do what launch pad does and open 2022.11 from the Cakewalk.exe in the "Cakewalk Core 2022 11" folder

My big question is what does the future hold. Is Bandlab going to let us use an old version of CbB? I heard someone mention that CbB will soon be a paid version. maybe once I've paid, I can revert to an old version. If anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, please chime in

The activation service running on the BandLab activation servers had to be changed significantly to support the up and coming paid products (e.g. Sonar / Next).

This new activation service is incompatible with the old one, so any version of CbB prior to 2023.09 will fail activation when it tries to renew.

CbB 2022.11 (and any earlier version) won't attempt to renew until around 6 months after it was last activated, but when it does try to re-activate it will fail.  So in answer to your question, you can use the old version for 6 months since your last activation.

CbB 2023.09 does work with the new activation service, and will refresh activation in the same way as earlier versions of CbB did - it's just talking to a different server.  The activation will automatically refresh when your current CbB 2023.09 activation period expires (obviously you'll have to be connected to the internet for this to work).

There is no paid version of CbB.   CbB is being replaced by Sonar, which will be a paid for product.  However, there are no immediate plans to stop re-activation of CbB, even after Sonar is released.

• Thanks 4

Thank you msmcleod for the detailed explanation. I've been using Cakewalk since 1992, so no doubt I'll be happy to buy the paid version of Sonar and by what you said I feel confident I won't run into any problems.