Metronome ???

Cobus Prinsloo

Question

12 answers to this question

What have you tried so far (and don't just say everything)?

Is the metronome set to use audio?

Is the bus that the metronome is using turned up and routed to a bus that can be heard?

Is Grooveplayer DX plugin loaded (The metronome uses this)

Edited by Promidi

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your response. In Preferences it is set to “Use audio metronome”. Set to play during Playback and Recording. I tried the Audio and Midi Metronomes.

I don’t seem to have Grooveplayer DX. One would presume it to install automatically with the original Cakwalk installation? I notived two Grooveplayer folders in the Shared DXI folder: one is spelt as one word, and the other as two words.

The Metronome bus is sent to the Master bus.

Edited by Cobus Prinsloo

On mine, the folder is D:\Sonar resources\Cakewalk Shared\Shared DXi\Groove Player  (of course, your "D:\Sonar resources" will be different).

In that folder, there is a file GroovePlayer.dll. 

6 hours ago, Promidi said:

Is Grooveplayer DX plugin loaded (The metronome uses this)

When installing Cakewalk and Sonar, installing Grooveplayer isn't optional, but I suppose it it possible for Grooveplayer to have something go wrong during installation.

You can check that by running Plug-In Manager and looking for Grooveplayer in the list of installed instruments. If you don't see it, check to see if you can see it when you select "Show Excluded."

The usual "track is making no sound" suggestions apply, such as making sure that nothing that is solo'd is preventing the track from making sound.

Check that samples are in place at:

%AppData%\Cakewalk\Sonar\Metronome

If not, you can copy them from the Cakewalk Core\Metronome (CbB's) folder.

You can also try re-registering the dll from an Admin command prompt with:

regsvr32  C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\Groove Player\GroovePlayer.dll

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 9:44 PM, Starship Krupa said:

When installing Cakewalk and Sonar, installing Grooveplayer isn't optional, but I suppose it it possible for Grooveplayer to have something go wrong during installation.

You can check that by running Plug-In Manager and looking for Grooveplayer in the list of installed instruments. If you don't see it, check to see if you can see it when you select "Show Excluded."

The usual "track is making no sound" suggestions apply, such as making sure that nothing that is solo'd is preventing the track from making sound.

It looks like it is listed there . I’ll try to re-registering the dll as David Bay suggested (tank you).

It is quite incredible that one has to wrestle so much getting such a simple feature to work.

Edited by Cobus Prinsloo

18 hours ago, Cobus Prinsloo said:

It is quite incredible that one has to wrestle so much getting such a simple feature to work.

But  quite uncommon. One way or another, something is likely not configured conventionally on your system, whether it's the project, the O/S or audio interface. Is other audio/synth playback working?

On 3/30/2024 at 10:23 PM, Cobus Prinsloo said:

notived two Grooveplayer folders in the Shared DXI folder: one is spelt as one word, and the other as two words.

I'm curious about this. Both of my PCs have versions of Cakewalk going back to Sonar 8.0 and foward to the new SONAR, and neither of them have a one-word GroovePlayer folder. Does it have the same contents as the "Groove Player" folder?  You might search the registry for the one-word path and see if something is mis-referenced.

The only time I lose the metronome is when I accidentally change it to MIDI.  So, last night I tried to get rid of (exclude) the grooveplayer in the Menu-based Cakewalk plug-in manager.  It was excluded (or so it said), I rescanned plug-ins, and I even restarted CbB, but I couldn't make the Metronome fail to sound.

I still have the metronome today.

So I renamed this: image.png.9e1c0506f41a9a7b71c2cfc8136ec3b4.pngto  GroovePlayer.pulled & rebooted CbB.

That gave me tht Missing plug-in error warning box which included this:  GroovePlayer (Track: 'LRS track bus'). 

And that's how I got rid of the Metronome.

So I shut down CbB, renamed it back to GroovePlayer.dll, rebooted CbB, and viola--I had the metronome back.

Note: I have some older Grooveplayer.dll files in storage areas of an external BU HDD, but I don't think those are being picked up by CbB.  They are older than the one from 4/24/2018 (9/12/2013 and 8/10/2011) and are smaller (the 9/12/2013 file is either 795 KB, or 659 KB for the x86 version;  the 8/10/2011 is 682 KB). 

Perhaps these details can be helpful in determining if you have the correct dll and if it's in the right place.  As for editing the registry, I don't mess with that. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:52 PM, Cobus Prinsloo said:

Well, what you're seeing is an anomaly that the vast majority of users never run into.

I've been on the Cakewalk forum for 6 years and this is the first time I've seen anyone have trouble with it.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 2:20 PM, User 905133 said:

So, last night I tried to get rid of (exclude) the grooveplayer in the Menu-based Cakewalk plug-in manager.  It was excluded (or so it said), I rescanned plug-ins, and I even restarted CbB, but I couldn't make the Metronome fail to sound. [emphasis added]

In another thread on a different issue, David Baay wrote something that explains what I wrote (see above):

8 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Excluding plugins just hides them from the menus so they can't be added to a new project; it won't stop the plugin from being loaded in an existing project that uses it.

This makes sense!!  Thanks.

• Like 1