Samsung - T7 Shield 4TB External USB 3.2 Gen 2 Rugged SSD IP65 Water Resistant - Black for $249.99

cclarry

I have two 2 TB Samsung T7 USB3.2 external SSDs, one for work files and seldom/never used Kontakt instruments, and the other for backups. They're great. I spent the money for a 2 TB Samsung X5 Thunderbolt 3 external SSD for a samples drive. It was between 2 to 3 times more expensive and 2 to 3 times the size. And it runs warm. But where the T7's are about 9x faster than a 7500 RPM spinner, the X5's are about 40 times faster. I've never had a single glitch running a sampled VI.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, John Maar said:

I have two 2 TB Samsung T7 USB3.2 external SSDs, one for work files and seldom/never used Kontakt instruments, and the other for backups. They're great. I spent the money for a 2 TB Samsung X5 Thunderbolt 3 external SSD for a samples drive. It was between 2 to 3 times more expensive and 2 to 3 times the size. And it runs warm. But where the T7's are about 9x faster that a 7500 RPM spinner, the X5's are about 40 times faster. I've never had a single glitch running a sampled VI.

Thanks to your comment I started to think about thunderbolt ssd existence.

Now I have a Kingston 4Tb on my shopping list.

I love Macs now even more.

TY!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Last Call said:

Thanks to your comment I started to think about thunderbolt ssd existence.

Now I have a Kingston 4Tb on my shopping list.

I love Macs now even more.

TY!

Windows does Thunderbolt just fine. My Lenovo P17 has two TB3 ports. I use one for the TB3 SSD and the other for the port extender, which has USB3, USB3.2 with a T7 SSD attached, a Blu-ray drive and an HDMI port for the second display driver (the P17 has 2 graphics chips, one for the internal 4K display and one for the external display). Everything works flawlessly. Not a single glitch.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Windows does Thunderbolt just fine. My Lenovo P17 has two TB3 ports. I use one for the TB3 SSD and the other for the port extender, which has USB3, USB3.2 with a T7 SSD attached, a Blu-ray drive and an HDMI port for the second display driver (the P17 has 2 graphics chips, one for the internal 4K display and one for the external display). Everything works flawlessly. Not a single glitch.

No doubt about it! 

Have a PC too, but no TB. 

Prob. my next PC will have TB4 or something compatibility, since I want to use my Apollo with it (The Apollo with a great headphone amp is the best thing ever).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Maar said:

I know it was unintentional, but FYI, @Fleer is a prof in Belgium, and is quite male, thank you very much. Hence the LMAO emoji.

Are you sure?

I even told him I didn’t know he was a SHE.

Replied with daddy issues!

Hence my reply now.

Edited by Last Call

15 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Would a laptop with a TB4 port be able to stream video files in real time during video editing?

I just bought a msi raider but have never used a thunderbolt anything.

Can a TB3/4 port handle the data rate? Absolutely, as long as your CPU and graphics driver can keep up. On a modern laptop, that shouldn't be an issue.

And I am eagerly awaiting your next video.

I just checked your YouTube channel. There's a missing video. What happened to my favorite, the space opera one?

Edited by John Maar