Open source "Cakewalk by Bandlab" after release of Cakewalk Sonar

Steven Warwick

Open source Cakewalk by Bandlab  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bandlab open source "Cakewalk by Bandlab"

• Yes!
    • No!

Question

Wondering if Bandlab would consider open sourcing "Cakewalk by Bandlab"  once Cakewalk Sonar is released.    I believe that there would be a lot of interest in having it maintained and continued effort on bug fixes and improvements

• Haha 2

6 answers to this question

Open source is not the same than free. Why open source and not just free without  support? As a first step to its pro version

I don't think Bandlab is going to "give " the app code to the "world"

Edited by Conteloto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Warwick said:

Wondering if Bandlab would consider open sourcing "Cakewalk by Bandlab"  once Cakewalk Sonar is released.    I believe that there would be a lot of interest in having it maintained and continued effort on bug fixes and improvements

If you are serious, why don't you make an offer / suggestion to Bandlab (the owner)?  JMO: opinions of users in a forum are meaningless for an issue like this.

I cannot imagine anything good for anyone coming out of open sourcing Cakewalk by Bandlab.  

Edited by User 905133
clarification added ("for an issue like this"); deleted off-topic sections; fixed typo (verb-number agreement: is --> are)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Warwick said:

Seriously? It’s basically the same code.

• Like 1

Who would provide all the free effort to maintain bug fixes, releases for Windows updates, and new features??  

I wouldn't bet my DAW on it ("too good to be true")

I've only stayed with it this long due to familiarity and a catalog of legacy projects ever since the DOS days. I often update old projects.

I bought "lifetime support" (another too good to be true) after talking to Craig Anderton at a conference .

I've been hanging on by a thread ever since Bandlab takeover (free ... another too good to be true, nice while it lasted)

Each big Cakewalk transition gives me more gray hair 😥😂.

• Like 1