New Sonar thoughts - spoiler alert - I’m digging it !

So I’ve been using it since the day it became available.  I also signed up for the Backstage Pass (I think that’s the name) so it’s fully functional. Background - 20+ year Cakewalk/Sonar user, specs (RTX 3050, i9 14900KF, 64G Ram running at 6800, ASUS mobo, MOTU adapter)

1.  Graphics.  Super smooth here and the graphic enhancements are clearly visible.  However I can understand where some might feel some of the text might be too small (like in the Opening Project and VST scan toast).  I’m running the version literally just released today - I think there have been three updates this week. I’m using the “dark” them and have gotten really used to it but as I’ve said before I do miss some things (can we please get segmented meters back as well as color options ?  Or maybe I just couldn’t find them).

2. Performance - I’ve thrown some pretty complex projects at it (AudioGridder using two Ethernet-connected laptops, a ton of Acustica Audio plugs and a mountain of UAD and others) and zero issues.  Just like CbB had zero issues. 

3. General Feel (completely subjective) - fast, snappy and definitely feels like things just work smoother.

I can understand people quibbling about the UI to a point however remember when we went from 8.5.x to a completely new UI and we all were lost for a bit until we learned it ? There was a learning  curve to be clear - the learning curve of the new Sonar is about 1/100th of that.  I’ve transferred all of my projects to the new Sonar and just for the hell of it cranked up the CbB versions today and they feel great like they also have - but I’m  completely used to the new  Sonar and there is a difference.

thx Bakers !

Edited by Greg Wynn
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

+1

This release looks sharper and easier to read to me. Either I activated a different theme last time I ran it and forgot about it or some tweeks have been done.

Also, I like how the now pointer sticking to the last now point while the track cursor line scrolls.

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

I do miss some things (can we please get segmented meters back as well as color options ?  Or maybe I just couldn’t find them).

Segemented meter option is still available in Preferences > Customization > Audio Meters.

• Like 2

I think overall it's very impressive how nothing has really gone away or been broken, or not that I've found so far. For such a complete overhaul of the UI, I imagine that took some meticulous work.

• Like 6

I think overall it's very impressive how nothing has really gone away or been broken, or not that I've found so far. For such a complete overhaul of the UI, I imagine that took some meticulous work.

Absolutely! As a software dev myself I would really not want this task - tons and tons of effort to produce something that will undoubtedly come in for criticism along the lines of either  'it's not exactly the same as before!' or 'it's basically the same, why have you not spent all that time on adding features!' 😒

Haven't had a play yet myself, but from what I see it's looking good and the inevitable snags are being picked up and being resolved quickly - let's not forget this is still an 'early access' build to get feedback, so there will be improvements to come.

Bitmaps can add eye candy, but for many reasons are not how modern UIs are composed . This update is essential to support Sonar going forward. Nice work Bakers!

Edited by Matthew Carr
Added Quote
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Matthew Carr said:

Absolutely! As a software dev myself I would really not want this task - tons and tons of effort to produce something that will undoubtedly come in for criticism along the lines of either  'it's not exactly the same as before!' or 'it's basically the same, why have you not spent all that time on adding features!' 😒

Haven't had a play yet myself, but from what I see it's looking good and the inevitable snags are being picked up and being resolved quickly - let's not forget this is still an 'early access' build to get feedback, so there will be improvements to come.

Bitmaps can add eye candy, but for many reasons are not how modern UIs are composed . This update is essential to support Sonar going forward. Nice work Bakers!

Agree with all of this

• Like 1