Guitar plug to USB-C

Nel B

I had recently picked up a guitar 1/4 inch plug that has a usb-c on the other end and it doesnt have any audio in cakewalk it just has buzzing every few seconds. any help?

is this one of those "audio-to-USB" cables for $5 on Amazon? one option might be to spend a bit more and a get a decent <$100 audio interface. 

that said

• check the device
  • check the drivers
  • see if a line-level input signal can drive it vs a guitar (which is a very low level signal).
Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 1:36 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

is this one of those "audio-to-USB" cables for $5 on Amazon? one option might be to spend a bit more and a get a decent <$100 audio interface. 

that said

• check the device
  • check the drivers
  • see if a line-level input signal can drive it vs a guitar (which is a very low level signal).

Thank you, i have found that it doesnt work at all, also sorry if i sound rude but im not really interested in spending lots to record im just looking for a cheap way to send guitar over to my computer over an amp sim for recording, i've found that i had bought the wrong type of usb and it only supports standard on my device. Thank you for the suggestion.

13 hours ago, Nel B said:

Thank you, i have found that it doesnt work at all, also sorry if i sound rude but im not really interested in spending lots to record im just looking for a cheap way to send guitar over to my computer over an amp sim for recording, i've found that i had bought the wrong type of usb and it only supports standard on my device. Thank you for the suggestion.

no worries. just keep in mind that once you step beyond the first few recordings and now you want the higher quality, or acoustic mic etc, there are many inexpensive IO units which will give you audio  + MIDI etc greatly expanding your options.

• Like 1

you could get a guitar jack to mini-jack cable (or regular guitar cable and a 1/4"to mini adapter), then you can use the same "audio interface" (i guess the onboard realtek?) for simultaneous recording and playback, assuming you have a mini-jack mic input on your laptop/pc, but your performance/latency won't be as good as splashing out $100 for an external audio interface

/goodluck

The cheapest interface that will give you acceptable results is probably the Behringer UMC22. 

Personally, I'd avoid it and go for a second-hand Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Scarlett Solo.  I'm still using 1st generation Scarlett interfaces (2i2, 6i6, 18i8 and 18i20), and they're solid good sounding interfaces. The 2i2 is now on the 4th generation, and they're also (apparently) the world's most popular interface...  so finding a 1st or 2nd gen interface on eBay or Reverb should be easy.

Also, if your guitar has a single-coil pickup and you're less than 2 - 3ft from your laptop/PC, you will likely get a buzzing noise - this is the guitar pickup picking up RF interference from the PC.  It's even worse if you're using an old CRT monitor.

Sometimes, running on battery (if it's a laptop) can help, but ensuring you're a couple of metres/6ft or so away from your PC will solve it.

Please don’t recommend interfaces with out doing a little research. 
There’s a good ASIO https://m-audio.com/products/browse/category/usb-audio-and-midi-interfaces. interface for only $50. It’s only down side is it’s only 16 bit and uses RCA outputs. Otherwise it is miles above the Behringer. Yes it’s all in the video.

Focusrite interfaces are good but for the same money there are interfaces with a lot more features and often better pre amps. My top pick for 2x2 was the SSL-2 it’s usually even cheaper than the 2i2. 
But at the bottom of the price range that MAudio Solo is definitely what I’d choose. 
You cannot record audio in sync with out ASIO. End of story. Everything else is a waste of money and time.  

Edited by John Vere

On 3/14/2024 at 3:33 AM, Nel B said:

I had recently picked up a guitar 1/4 inch plug that has a usb-c on the other end and it doesnt have any audio in cakewalk it just has buzzing every few seconds. any help?

Place the link for it here in the post so we can see ahat your are talkin about.

Also, If you vist the REVERB WAREHOUSE, you can find excellent deals on items staight from the manufactuer such as Focusrite and others.  Just look to the left of the page for the manufacturers name

Edited by jesse g

If quality of experience is worth anything, forget about USB>Audio Cable as an "audio interface".

Latency will be terrible, audio quality sub-par, and you may encounter stability issues.

Aside from the computer itself, the audio interface is the next most critical factor in a rock-solid recording (or amp-sim playing) experience.

As was mentioned, the Behringer UMC series is inexpensive... and will be an infinitely better solution.