The future of Creative Sauce.

2 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

EDIT: Sorry @whoisp, this rant is not really directed at you

No totally understand what you saying Nicholls.

Algorithms content wars started with inbound and outbound google keywords, that pretty much started per per click that caused massive add frauds and popup adds you click by mistake so someone gets paid. They are all various types of monsters to monetize and funnel money that a real business is at the mercy of. My mind was blown be some of music industry fraud.

There was a server farm warehouse busted that was emulating unique phone ip's streaming music to get paid. mad stuff.,...   

I gave up on thinking I’d ever get any money out of my videos 2 years ago. I looked into what it takes and that’s a huge time suck. I could care less I’m retired. 

My only reason to make the videos was so I wouldn’t have keep re typing the same answers over and over here on this forum! 

I looked at what other tutorials were about and saw a lot of inaccuracies and old information. 
And talking heads that take 4 minutes just self promotion before you get to an actual lesson. 
If you remove the bs you can say the same things in half the time. 

But I guess talking heads are what works because if you search for Cakewalk Tutorials I’m on page 2 at the bottom. 

Last year when I saw this I deleted all my videos! 90 of them! 
It was thanks to the encouragement from my tiny group of followers I slowly brought them back.
500 subscribers  ain’t much but on a local scale that’s actually a lot for someone like me. 
Making the videos is definitely a nice little hobby that keeps me alert.
I like to support this forum and they are something I can easily make to help contribute. 
A small disappointment has been a lack of interest in them here on the forum. 
That’s ok. I’m a grumpy old guy and don’t expect anything from the punters. 

For me the ultimate reward has been that the process has had the side benefit of teaching me a lot more than I ordinarily would have learned about the software. 

Im really hoping Bandlab will hire a professional person to make proper Tutorials for Sonar now they will have the resources. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, John Vere said:

I actually started a new Playlist  For both Sonar and Next a while ago but had to take down the videos as requested because they didn’t want anything happening outside the beta testing. 
I put this first one out a few day ago just to show people how to get it. There’s actually nothing much else to say because nothing really changed. 

Awesome. I am a subscriber. I appreciate your efforts.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:48 AM, whoisp said:

I like Mike but it all seems a bit odd to me....

Mike built is company "Creative Source"  from majority of Cakewalk followers  that turbo charge his channel for "Creative Source" to dump  Cakewalk he built a company from, every post was mainly cakewalk.  Yes he created a new YouTube channel just for Cakewalk and entitled to change his mind and do whatever is right for him. Maybe Cakewalk should have missed a trick to haev a ambassador etc.  

Its like building a business for BMW  customers, then  sending them to a new BMW business whilst the old business changes to Audi, just all a bit bizarre but hes been honest about it, wish him well

Prior to creating CbB focused videos the Creative Sauce YouTube channel had numerous videos featuring equipment reviews and  generic DAW tips using Studio One as the demonstration DAW.    Back then Studio One sponsored several YouTube contributors and there were several more contributors attempting to build an audience.  Switching his DAW focus from Studio One to CbB allowed Creative Sauce to stand out from the crowd.  While a smart business move it also allowed Creative Sauce to quickly collect a loyal audience.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2024 at 4:36 PM, John Vere said:

He was dissing Cakewalk last spring after the announcement and started luring people to Studio One. I thought of him as a trader after that. But after all,  being a you tuber is a business for guys like Mike. 

His post-announcement videos definitely shook things up around here, but I neither thought of them as disrespecting Cakewalk nor thought of him as a "traitor."

I grew up believing that any system/institution needs people to speak the truth, no matter how uncomfortable that truth may be, and that systems/institutions are actually harmed when people don't speak up about things that aren't working for them. Keeping quiet out of a sense of loyalty is misplaced loyalty.

(I'm an American, that principle is kinda ingrained. Canada went the loyalty route back in the day, Quebec notwithstanding.😊)

So even though I was bummed to see someone I considered the biggest supporter and promoter of my favorite program expressing doubt as to whether he would continue in that role, I welcomed his critical input.

Believe me, the developers paid attention. Read the list of new features carefully and you'll find at least one really cool one that was inspired by Mike's infamous "que es mas clunky" comparison video: in Sonar, you can drag an effect from the Browser directly into a track's Sends rack and it will create a send bus with that effect in its rack along with a new send on the track, routed to that bus.

That's a great thing on multiple levels. In addition to being a slick feature, it shows that the Cakewalk devs aren't averse to being inspired by other products.

Over the years, I've noticed that publishing a YouTube video is hands-down the best way to get a developer's attention in regard to bugs and "missing" features. I've fantasized about doing one where I go through trying to set up the Drum Pane in PRV with instrument names and eventually rage quit. 😆

The feelings and opinions he was expressing were also held by me, albeit with less at stake in my case. I have been an advocate of CbB in my own way, here on the forum as well as being the author of the Cakewalk by BandLab Wikipedia entry. I go on board with CbB in large part because I found the transition to freeware fascinating and wanted to see how it played out as far as the quality of the product (my predictions were dead-on, as it turns out). I've set up multiple friends with CbB on their systems, always with the expectation that they would be able to continue using it indefinitely.

I did finally update my Studio One Artist to v. 6, largely so I could compare it with Sonar. And, sorry, but S1A compares favorably in several areas. And S1 Artist is a cut-down version of Studio One. And hey, y'know what, there's room in both my budget and my programs drive for both of them. The DAW world isn't an us vs. them thing like it used to be. Compose in FL Studio, mix and master in Cakewalk. Horses for courses.

I've said it myself: CbB is hands-down the best free DAW for Windows. Sonar will be playing in the "best Windows DAW for the money" leagues, which is way different. IMO, the competition is now Mixcraft and Studio One Artist, both of which have long-requested features that Sonar does not yet have (integrated samplers being the most prominent).

The Cakewalk team have been around in the DAW market for a long, long time. I have faith that they will be realistic about pricing models and new features. The Waves debacle showed the industry that while subscriptions work for some people, they definitely don't work for a significant number of people. They're most appropriate for professionals, and IMO, the more casual hobbyist market is really where the growth is.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

[Mike's] post-announcement videos definitely shook things up...

Have to say I was a little upset that he seemed to be "moving on" from CbB. I was using Pro Audio and SONAR for some time before the Gibson debacle, and was happy to pay the $$$ to keep it up to date, so I didn't know much of anything about the other DAWs out there. I think the biggest version was SONAR Platinum at ~$400, so I felt like I was using a legit product that was in the same league as other four hundred dollar DAWs. When Gibson pulled the plug, I tried a few other DAWs, and actually bought Samplitude and Studio One.

So when Mike started to say CbB was merely the best free DAW and he was going to focus on S1, I took it personally. Couldn't help it. I'm not a cheer-leading fanboi, but hey -- I'm in touch with my sensitive side.

This nine-month tease that's been going on has got me starting to use S1 exclusively. After all this time, the one element Bandlab has touted as the biggest and best development in new Sonar -- vector graphics -- is the one element forum users seem to find is not up to par. Bad color choices, blurry text, buttons that don't light up, etc. I mean, why wait nine months to put out a trial version, and then not get the UI right? It shakes my faith.

I'm hoping a paid version of New Sonar gets released while I'm still young, and that it kicks ***** so I can buy it and get on with making music. But at the moment I'm learning Studio One. I'm not one of those "...create in Live, mix in Sonar, master in Studio One" kind of guys. I'll choose one DAW and stay with it. Who has time to get good with two, three (or more) programs?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

After all this time, the one element Bandlab has touted as the biggest and best development in new Sonar -- vector graphics -- is the one element forum users seem to find is not up to par. Bad color choices, blurry text, buttons that don't light up, etc. I mean, why wait nine months to put out a trial version, and then not get the UI right?

Well, overall I like the new flat look. It's still an unreleased work in progress, so I figure there will be some stuff about it that's still rough. It's not the vector-ness of the UI that people are disliking, merely small easily changeable things like button art and text. I see it as just another theme at this point, or rather a set of 6 of them.

Have you tried downloading a copy of it messing with it to see what you think? Your opinion is the one that really matters, not the early critiques on the forum. People are criticizing certain elements that they don't like because the new UI is really by far the big change. It will kick just as much asterisk as the last version of CbB. 😆

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Have you tried downloading a copy of it messing with it to see what you think?

Nope. I obsessively checked this forum hundreds of times over the nine months since last Spring's new product announcement, hoping to find a release date and pricing for a finished product (not gonna lie -- if it was not affordable for me I was going to have to look elsewhere). It seems that on the very day I resolved to create my current project in Studio One, there was a kind of sneak release of... I don't know, but maybe the final New Sonar.

So I didn't know about it until a week later, when I was too busy climbing the S1 Learning Curve. @Noel Borthwick has said it's "not a beta," but reading the forum it looks to me like it's not a finished product either. I'm not technical enough to make any useful critiques of beta products, I don't have the kind of video monitors that would reveal the goodness of the new vector graphics, and forum members here have uncovered enough problems with the current "release" that I don't want to get involved right now.

When Bandlab says New Sonar is really ready, I'll join in on a (free) trial period, fingers crossed that my fave DAW for the past twenty years is still The One for me.

Edited by Larry Jones
clarity

1 hour ago, Larry Jones said:

@Noel Borthwick has said it's "not a beta," but reading the forum it looks to me like it's not a finished product either.

You are correct, it isn't a beta by the usual definition of that term. If I had to put a term to it, I'd call it a "preview." It's feature complete or close to it, and all that is supposed to change between now and release should be cosmetics.

A beta is usually a closed release or series of releases to a select group of testers. IIRC, Microsoft kind of pioneered the "open beta" or "preview" release being a more public affair back with Windows 95 (under the code name "Chicago").