Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Nova - Gentleman's Edition and Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Limiter 6 GE for $20 Each - Both for $30

cclarry

• cclarry changed the title to Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Nova - Gentleman's Edition and Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Limiter 6 GE for $20 Each - Both for $30

NOVA is the only GE plugin I don't have. But I use mostly ProQ3, some Pultec emulation or a specialty thing (like Maag for high end, Chandler for mids on the master, SmartEQ when I'm lost). I even have the supposed king, the Kirchoff, but rarely use it.

Besides completing the collection for €20, what would NOVA give me?

7 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

NOVA is the only GE plugin I don't have. But I use mostly ProQ3, some Pultec emulation or a specialty thing (like Maag for high end, Chandler for mids on the master, SmartEQ when I'm lost). I even have the supposed king, the Kirchoff, but rarely use it.

Besides completing the collection for €20, what would NOVA give me?

The short answer is: probably nothing that you actually need.

The slightly longer answer is: the dynamic EQ part isn't better than Kirchhoff or even Pro-Q, but it does have a section called "Smart Ops" where you can import a file and tell Nova to try to match the EQ curve and dynamics or whatever. I think you can also do other things, but I haven't really bothered to investigate much. I always figure if any feature of any product is really great, I will hear about it somewhere because I follow a few music related forums and what not. I haven't see too many people rave about the Smart Ops thing, so I figured it's likely not worth my time.

• Like 2

I regularly use Nova's SmartOps as a starting place to find resonances. Lately I have been liking it better than MAutoDynamicEQ for this purpose. (I usually try them both.)

It can do other things too, like eq matching and the pink noise spectrum flattening thing. AND the UI on Nova is second to none IMHO, although I'm not crazy about how the SmartOps thing was implemented.

Do yourself a favor and watch a Dan Worrall video on it. It's an awesome and crazy affordable plugin with these sales.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mibby said:

Do yourself a favor and watch a Dan Worrall video on it. It's an awesome and crazy affordable plugin with these sales.

Damn, I had seen that a while ago and it made me want to check out that feature again. Thanks for the reminder. Now it’s been so long I have to watch the video again. 😂