My New Distortion Pedal🎸

Every time I go to Seattle, my first stop is a secondhand music store called The Trading Musician.
I'm looking around at the effects pedals and I see this box with grunge distortion written on it, and of course I have to buy it.
Got this puppy home and plugged it in to my amp and it just about shredded my speakers.
So yesterday morning after my neighbors went to work, I played a quick bass riff and sat down to my drums and then set up my Les Paul and jammed out for a few hours,
and then I thought what the heck I'd share it with you good folks on the cakewalk forums.

I'm playing a Fender P Bass through a Fender Rumble 200 Amp and mic'd up with a SM 57.
And a Les Paul into the Digitech Grunge Distortion Pedal:
and then into a Ernie Ball JR. Volume Pedal:
and then into a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay Pedal:
and then into my Fender Mustang GTX 100 Amp
mic'd up with a SM 57:
Threw some guitar chorus to the left because it sounded a little empty. (It's basically a three-piece band)
Recorded using Cakewalk by BandLab.

gp2.thumb.jpg.f8157a8b866b6cc07f0b9a3768a393ef.jpg

gp4.thumb.jpg.309b30b1ec22b463f2fda15d5fac4c95.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Grem said:

I remember those pedals. 

I recently got one of those kit builds from StewMac. It's a pedal they created based on a "Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive"

I have never played through a real Klon, but this pedal I built is the best overdrive pedal I have ever used. I recommend them highly.

20240126_001933.thumb.jpg.0b8942f827c11d3c4410860a7efd2667.jpg

Neither have I, but a friend in Canada hand builds pedals and he sent me a bunch of them, including the "Clowntaur": Love it.

15304537_10154241062237582_2014265743371715859_o.thumb.jpg.59ba9761dc04704a962b9db3d4f6cda7.jpg

He also sent me a fuzz, which I never thought I'd enjoy this much, a great Tube Screamer clone, and this Rewolver which is a fantastic booster. Put that in front of the green channel on my otherwise generic Marshall DSL and the amp just comes to life. I always felt the green as an "almost" and the red one was "too much or not quite". The Rewolver just gave me me a "that's it!" golden channel.

38926442_10155918596367582_5059199521653784576_n.thumb.jpg.4aa9f30507eea12d620526be28e84d2b.jpg

17546757_10154616366507582_5324360840467967758_o.thumb.jpg.88e458c5aeadb95c1aadb2b32dd91b79.jpg

14608875_10154076179777582_7106085901946226527_o.thumb.jpg.a6a4642946f361c6440b6b51270cc9e2.jpg

I am not much of a pedal guy, but I'm glad I have these for different types of dirt. 

Edited by Rain
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2024 at 8:31 PM, Grem said:

I remember those pedals. 

I recently got one of those kit builds from StewMac. It's a pedal they created based on a "Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive"

I have never played through a real Klon, but this pedal I built is the best overdrive pedal I have ever used. I recommend them highly.

20240126_001933.thumb.jpg.0b8942f827c11d3c4410860a7efd2667.jpg

Play something through it so we can hear how it sounds.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 12:53 AM, craigb said:

Go to Seattle from where?

And do you get to see Dave (Bitflipper) when you're there??? 🤔

I live in Tacoma. Is Dave the guy that was walking into the store?😃

Edited by Old Joad

Well, of course you bought a Grunge pedal in Seattle, home of Grunge.

Whenever I visit Tacoma, my tradition is to spend a reflective hour or so sitting in traffic whilst slowly creeping toward the other side of town. Tacoma, home of the perpetual traffic jam.

And yeh, consider it an open invitation to stop by and visit next time you're up my way.

• Haha 1

Now, now...it smells much better nowadays!

(Context for those who don't know: Tacoma used to have a lot of pulp mills, and the sulfur smell would waft all the way to Seattle and beyond. My home town of Everett had the same problem, but the pulp mills went away here, too - although it does remain the toilet paper capital of the US. We prefer to talk about airplanes.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Now, now...it smells much better nowadays!

(Context for those who don't know: Tacoma used to have a lot of pulp mills, and the sulfur smell would waft all the way to Seattle and beyond. My home town of Everett had the same problem, but the pulp mills went away here, too - although it does remain the toilet paper capital of the US. We prefer to talk about airplanes.)

Very familiar with that!  I used to live in Camas Washington (first in the Holly Hills area, and then on Prune Hill).  The paper mill in Downtown Camas would often smell like a full baby diaper! 🤢  It's not bad now.  I've heard that they use a new process to break down the wood than the original enzymes.

When I was 16, my best friend and I made a pilgrimage of sorts and visited Jonquière, the small city from where our heroes from the band Voivod came. 14 hours by bus. 

The first thing that hit us when we got off the bus was the smell. The city was home to a few plants, including a very large aluminum plant. Those plants and the pollution they caused provided inspiration for much of the bands post-apocalyptic imagery. But we'd never imagined the smell. 

After a day or two, we were stunned - and amused to no end - to realize that our farts smelled like that plant (teenagers, you know). I guess it was like a naturalization process or something. We were becoming locals. 😁

Maybe the fact that we ate nothing but Big Macs and drank lots of Heineken and Jack Daniels didn't help. 

That smell is the second thing that comes to mind now when I see or hear that city name, after Voivod of course. 

Sidenote -  my younger brother and his band opened for Voivod a few times in the last few years and he got to hang out with them. I was very proud of him. I also got to hang out with the singer in a bar in the late 2000's. I didn't tell him that his hometown smelled like McDonalds farts.

Edited by Rain
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rain said:

didn't tell him that his hometown smelled like McDonalds farts.

No need. He knew it already.

My aunt and uncle lived in Lutcher, right next door to Gramercy.  Just outside of Gramercy was a Kaiser aluminum plant.

I went to live with them. Know that smell well.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2024 at 12:25 PM, Old Joad said:

Play something through it so we can hear how it sounds.

I have not forgotten Joad. Just ain't had a chance to get it recorded. But I will.

• Great Idea 1

On 3/3/2024 at 8:40 PM, bitflipper said:

Tacoma used to have a lot of pulp mills, and the sulfur smell would waft all the way to Seattle and beyond.

They also knocked down the old smelter, legend has it that when the Beatles played the old Sick's Stadium in Seattle, they got a whiff of Tacoma and wrote the song Smelter Skelter.🤪

• Haha 1