My New Distortion Pedal🎸

On 3/1/2024 at 8:31 PM, Grem said:

I remember those pedals. 

I recently got one of those kit builds from StewMac. It's a pedal they created based on a "Klon Centaur Professional Overdrive"

I have never played through a real Klon, but this pedal I built is the best overdrive pedal I have ever used. I recommend them highly.

20240126_001933.thumb.jpg.0b8942f827c11d3c4410860a7efd2667.jpg

I picked one up but haven't had the time to put it together yet... 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

I picked one up but haven't had the time to put it together yet... 

Some heads up, I sorted all the parts, then taped them to a sheet of paper, then marked them so as I worked, I could just look at the directions, see what I needed to grab, and was able to get the right part easily. 

Also I use one of these to help put the part in, then flip it and solder. I had it already from doing soldering on my guitar pots/pups. So, me being cheap I didn't buy this until after I finished the build!!  Will use it on my next build!! LOL :)

Another heads up: I find the white LED way too bright. Even in the daytime. I will take it back apart and fix that at some point.

• Great Idea 1

Alright... I know it was a long wait!!

First half of clip is without pedal on. Last half has pedal on.  I did play some lead on it but decided that I would just showcase the rhythm part.

EZD3 and EZB were used. Also very little was done to EQ the guitar part other than HP filter roll off.

Here it is:

• Like 2

Interesting. Never ventured into guitar pedal land. That's a nice sounding grunge pedal.

Instead I chose to buy a handful of those combo units, the POD HD500, the Zoom combo and the one I use most TC Electronic. Guitar Rig is great too but who wants to drag a computer out? What I have found with these combination effects pedals is they have maybe one or two tones I really like and I hate the rest.

I have envied the simplicity of just having a pedal with knobs to do what you want it to do. No menus, no fuss, and you get to select the ones you like. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

the simplicity of just having a pedal with knobs to do what you want it to do

I played for years without any fx at all. No delay, no reverb, no comp. Then I got a Ibanez Flanger FL-9 and used that for a few years then got a Ibanez Delay, the AD-9.

I bought a Kelly C4 comp that I rarely use. 

Today I go into  a Mesa Tone Burst mostly as a clean boost that work extremely well. The Ghost Pedal does a great job as a clean boost also. IT just has a little more grit than the Tone Burst.

I have a pedal board that has 4 different chorus pedal on it! I use those more than anything else (besides the Tone Burst, that stays on all the time). 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, Grem said:

Alright... I know it was a long wait!!

First half of clip is without pedal on. Last half has pedal on.  I did play some lead on it but decided that I would just showcase the rhythm part.

EZD3 and EZB were used. Also very little was done to EQ the guitar part other than HP filter roll off.

Here it is:

Cool, thanks for sharing🍺🤘

I like the sound of that, it's a bit like the TS-9 Turbo.

Edited by Old Joad

In 1977, I didn't have any pedals at all and just a cheap stack, I can't even remember the name brand.
I also had an old amplifier I pulled out of its case a few years before.  I wanted distortion. I connected a TR jack to the amp's output, plugged my guitar into that and plugged that into the stack. Instant distortion?
I didn't even have to call the fire department.

• Haha 2