Moving Part Of An Audio File

Dean

How do I move part of an audio file or all of one?  I found this info "To move clips using drag and drop".  So the first thing it says is "Select the clips you want to move".  So I can't figure out how to select clips.  Where are they?  

Thanks

You will greatly befit from taking time to either watch the tutorials or read parts of the user manual and learn more about the basics of using a DAW. The item you are asking about is universal to all DAW it sort of what we call common knowledge.  
We welcome all questions here if you get stuck but most people will try and teach themselves the basics and there’s lots of help on you tube and even just Google your questions. Have fun. 

Yes John, I seek out tutorials and I go to the manual which has been very helpful.  I printed out the info  "To move clips  using drag and drop" I'm sure it is a simple operation to do.  But with me until I see what is being talked about like the rectangle mentioned, I don't get it.

Thanks for the replies!

• Like 1

The other important thing to understand is the Smart Tool. Depending on where you click within a clip, the cursor will have different functions/capabilities (and often a different cursor appearance). Until you get a feel for those, it may be easier to zoom in on your Track View a bit so you have more area to "hit" while working.

While dragging a clip, holding CTRL will make a copy, holding Shift will lock it on the timeline (to move the clip vertically to another track and preserve timing), and CTRL-Shift will do both (make a copy and keep timing for vertical moves). I tend to be old school and use splits to isolate sections of clips and Bounce to Clip(s) to (re)assemble small clips into a single clip.

Definitely spend some time not only watching tutorials, but also working with simple things (make a copy of a project and start messing around in it). The mouse behavior changes a lot depending on where you click, what you are clicking on (the "rectangle selection"), and what keys you are using while doing those actions. Those need to become second nature, or you will cause yourself undue/undo frustration... ironically, Ctrl-Z (undo) will become your friend as you learn as well.

Also, always be sure to select the object you want to do something to before taking an action. Cakewalk only relates actions you tell it to do by what you have selected. Select, perform action, verify results.

Thanks for the responses!

As usual, once I get it in my head what I am looking for it turns out to be quite simple.

reginaldStjohn. Thanks for the diagram.

Bristol_Jonesey.  Thanks for the diagram.

• Like 1