Times Long Past (rock instrumental)

Larry T.

Greetings All. Hope you are all doing fine. Here's "Times Long Past". A rock instrumental whose ending is a homage to The Beatles "The End", specifically the dueling guitar solo's. Nits and crits appreciated. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/times-long-past

Paestum_Temples_(Italy,_October_2020)_640x427.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, electric and acoustic DI guitars, DI bass, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, SI Drums by CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 3

Nice wide intro, Oh that shut down to very much in the middle once the drums, bass and other bit kicked in.  Was that your intention?

Basically nice tune but became a bit narrow after the intro for my furry ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Nice wide intro, Oh that shut down to very much in the middle once the drums, bass and other bit kicked in.  Was that your intention?

Basically nice tune but became a bit narrow after the intro for my furry ears.

Thanks Wookiee. I tried to get more wideness on the whole song but I placed the priority on clarity and correct sound levels/balance of all the instruments on those parts that are a bit narrow. If I had more than 8GB of ram I could have probably done it. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Larry T. said:

Thanks Wookiee. I tried to get more wideness on the whole song but I placed the priority on clarity and correct sound levels/balance of all the instruments on those parts that are a bit narrow. If I had more than 8GB of ram I could have probably done it. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

Have you tried Infected mushrooms Wider, it is free. Nice tool to add width. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Have you tried Infected mushrooms Wider, it is free. Nice tool to add width. 

Had not heard of, watching a You Tube video on it now. Thanks!

Cool song and Very nice playing. I enjoyed the flowing melody lines. 

I wasn't crazy about the choice of the chorus effect on the main melody guitar. I think it de-tuned too much putting some unneeded tension in the phrases.  Just my 1st impression. 

Agree with @Wookiee about the width. Simple wider panning would help it.

I'm also a fan of Infected Mushrooms "wider". I use it extensively and think it sounds much better than Ozone imager. I've never used it on an entire mix, but I'm sure it would be a quick fix at low settings.

I Really Enjoyed the song and production ..     mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Cool song and Very nice playing. I enjoyed the flowing melody lines. 

I wasn't crazy about the choice of the chorus effect on the main melody guitar. I think it de-tuned too much putting some unneeded tension in the phrases.  Just my 1st impression. 

Agree with @Wookiee about the width. Simple wider panning would help it.

I'm also a fan of Infected Mushrooms "wider". I use it extensively and think it sounds much better than Ozone imager. I've never used it on an entire mix, but I'm sure it would be a quick fix at low settings.

I Really Enjoyed the song and production ..     mark

Thanks Mark. I tried to widen those parts by panning but lost volume, balance and clarity by doing so. I will try to download the Infected Mushroom Wider tool and give it a go. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Hi Larry - loved the intro and that Guitar tone / delay - what delay did you use on that?

Liked the track as well although there was just something re the Bass - sounded like a chorus on that but it sounded slightly boxy I thought - however I am restricted to listening on headphones at the moment so please feel free to ignore the comments re the Bass!!!!

Cool

Nigel

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Larry - loved the intro and that Guitar tone / delay - what delay did you use on that?

Liked the track as well although there was just something re the Bass - sounded like a chorus on that but it sounded slightly boxy I thought - however I am restricted to listening on headphones at the moment so please feel free to ignore the comments re the Bass!!!!

Cool

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. The guitars on that piece, and on virtually all the songs I do, are on their own individual tracks. This gives me the ability to optimize EQ, delay, reverb, flanger, chorus, compression, etc. for each rhythm or lead/solo section based on what other instruments are happening with it and the guitar parts unique sonic signature as it was recorded.

The delay effects and methods on the lead guitars are:

1. using the reverb from the amp as it was recorded.

2. making a copy of the guitar part and pasting it on another track about .35 to .7 seconds off the original. this is usually a process of trial and error as each part is unique. this can give a really sweet echo/delay effect

3. the TH3 delay in CW.

4. the Sonitus Delay in CW.

5. the Sonitus Reverb in CW.

6. any and all combinations of above.

Cheers!🎶🎶🎶🎶

Edited by Larry T.