Output of MIDI channel not playing back to the keyboard source

I am able to record midi to a midi track and play it back through the Cakewalk TTS fine form my Yamaha keyboard, but I used to be able to select the Yamaha Piano output and play it back to the keyboard.  For some reason I can no longer get the sound on the keyboard when playing back.  I have tried for hours and finally I need help.  I have used this before many times as I can here the playback much better going back to the keyboard when tracking.  Once I know I have what I want then I select the Cakewalk TTS for mixing.

Maybe I am not setting the insert soft synth correctly? IDK  Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You

Edited by Frank DeFede

The midi track, once recorded, should go to a phisical midi output in (in the track, check where the output is going). That output should be connected to the midi IN of your keyboard.

If the keyboard is only connected via usb, check into the preferences in Cbb in the midi section and activate the usb yamaha midi output, then set the track to that midi output.

Regards,

Giorgio

• Like 1

Does the keyboard have a MIDI Activity indicator on it that lights with incoming MIDI?  How are you monitoring the Yamaha's ouput - echoing it back through an audio track in CbB or direct from the keyboard to headphones/monitors?

3 hours ago, Giorgio Gabriel said:

The midi track, once recorded, should go to a phisical midi output in (in the track, check where the output is going). That output should be connected to the midi IN of your keyboard.

If the keyboard is only connected via usb, check into the preferences in Cbb in the midi section and activate the usb yamaha midi output, then set the track to that midi output.

Regards,

Giorgio

Hi Glorgio,

Thank you for your input. 

It is connected via USB..  I looked under Edit/Preferences/Midi, but I don't see the midi output to activate it.  I'm I looking in the wrong place?

Frank

13 minutes ago, Frank DeFede said:

Hi Glorgio,

It is connected via USB..  I looked under Edit/Preferences/Midi, but I don't see the midi output to activate it.  I'm I looking in the wrong place?

Frank

39 minutes ago, Frank DeFede said:

Hi Glorgio,

Frank

By the way my Keyboard is a Yamaha YPG-635

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

Does the keyboard have a MIDI Activity indicator on it that lights with incoming MIDI?  How are you monitoring the Yamaha's ouput - echoing it back through an audio track in CbB or direct from the keyboard to headphones/monitors?

Hi David,

Thank you for your feedback!

My Keyboard is a Yamaha YPG-635.  I don't think I have ever seen it indicate Midi activity so I guess it has no indicator light. The output monitors directly from the keyboard through the speakers when I set the output in cakewalk on the midi channel to Yamaha Grand Piano 1.  

I am not having any luck so far.

Frank

4 hours ago, Giorgio Gabriel said:

Regards,

Giorgio

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

3 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Most Yamaha keyboards have a setting for 'local on/off' which basically disconnects the built in sound engine.

Hello and thank you for your input,

My keyboard is a Yamaha YPG-635.  I don't see any place to turn off "Local on/off.  I will check deeper into it.

2 minutes ago, Frank DeFede said:

I found the Local setting, and I turn it on.  It is still not working.  I assume it should be set to on right?  If was OFF.

My keyboard is a Yamaha YPG-635.  I don't see any place to turn off "Local on/off.  I will check deeper into it.

4 hours ago, Frank DeFede said:

I am able to record midi to a midi track and play it back through the Cakewalk TTS fine form my Yamaha keyboard, but I used to be able to select the Yamaha Piano output and play it back to the keyboard.  For some reason I can no longer get the sound on the keyboard when playing back.  I have tried for hours and finally I need help.  I have used this before many times as I can here the playback much better going back to the keyboard when tracking.  Once I know I have what I want then I select the Cakewalk TTS for mixing.

Maybe I am not setting the insert soft synth correctly? IDK  Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You

Do you have the proper midi in and out enabled in preferences?

35 minutes ago, Frank DeFede said:

You would have to look deep in the manual for the keyboard. I had a Yamaha at one time and it would always play the on-board sounds when I was trying to drive other instruments via MIDI until I turned local off.

I had a quick look at the manual. The YPG-635 does have Local On/Off, but that shouldn't have any bearing on your current issue. The purpose of turning Local Control Off is so that the YPG's sound module doesn't respond directly to the keyboard (via internal 'Local' connection between the keyboard its sound module) when you just want to use the keyboard as a controller to play a soft synth in the DAW or another external sound module.. The usual way to use a keyboard synth in Cakewalk is to have a MIDI track receiving and echoing MIDI back to the keyboard and an audio track receiving and echoing the synth's audio output to monitors connected to the audio interface/soundcard of the PC. That way you have complete control over what you record and hear from within Cakewalk. Both tracks need to have the Input Echo button enabled. For the MIDI track, Cakewalk will auto-echo it by default (see Always Echo Current MIDI Track in Preferences > MIDI Playback and Recording) when it's in focus (track name highlighted).

Right offhand, I didn't see that any particular mode needs to be set to get the Yamaha's sound module to respond to external MIDI input, so if you're able to set the MIDI track's Input and Output to the Yamaha, and Input Echo is enabled, it should be working. But you should double-check the 'PC Mode' setting against the manual to make sure you've got it right.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2

Hi Frank.

if your keyboard is connected with the usb cable to the computer, then you should install the yamaha's midi driver. Then, in Cbb preferences, you should find and activate both midi in and out.

Beside that, your keyboard has the Local On/Off setting (see your keyboard's manual).

Local off means that the keyboard transmits midi data but does not play itself while in Local on mode it transmits midi data and plays too (no vst required for this scenario).

I suggest to check those details.

Regards,

Giorgio

12 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

What is listed in the output section?

MIDIouts.jpg

Hi Greg,

I think I have mine set up this way.  Here is a screen capture.  But, still not working for me.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I am still looking for the problem.  Al of the suggestions are helping. It is much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.2b408ac199e1cac41f41c27852143662.png

13 hours ago, Frank DeFede said:

12 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

What is listed in the output section?

MIDIouts.jpg

13 hours ago, David Baay said:

I had a quick look at the manual. The YPG-635 does have Local On/Off, but that shouldn't have any bearing on your current issue. The purpose of turning Local Control Off is so that the YPG's sound module doesn't respond directly to the keyboard (via internal 'Local' connection between the keyboard its sound module) when you just want to use the keyboard as a controller to play a soft synth in the DAW or another external sound module.. The usual way to use a keyboard synth in Cakewalk is to have a MIDI track receiving and echoing MIDI back to the keyboard and an audio track receiving and echoing the synth's audio output to monitors connected to the audio interface/soundcard of the PC. That way you have complete control over what you record and hear from within Cakewalk. Both tracks need to have the Input Echo button enabled. For the MIDI track, Cakewalk will auto-echo it by default (see Always Echo Current MIDI Track in Preferences > MIDI Playback and Recording) when it's in focus (track name highlighted).

Right offhand, I didn't see that any particular mode needs to be set to get the Yamaha's sound module to respond to external MIDI input, so if you're able to set the MIDI track's Input and Output to the Yamaha, and Input Echo is enabled, it should be working. But you should double-check the 'PC Mode' setting against the manual to make sure you've got it right.

Good Morning David,

Thank you for the detailed explanation and for taking the time to check out the Yamaha YPG-365 manual.  I did friend the local setting and the PCI setting earlier, but I am not sure which settings they should be on.  I tried local on and off, and I tired PC Mode in the PCI and PC2 mode, but none of that worked either so I now set them back to "Local Off", and "PC Mode to Off."

I believe I have the section under midi in the prefaces set correctly, and I tried several options with it, but still it doesn't work.  It is set to ECHO SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE, PORTABLE GRARND1, and ALWAYECHO CURRENT MIDE TRACK. I toggled each of the settings to see if it would work, but none of them produced sound back to the Yamaha. The Cakewalk TT1 works find though.  Here is a screen shot. thank you for your help. I must still be doing something stupid somewhere. I am usually pretty good with the help of the forum in figuring things out. So far I am still stuck. But, I will keep trying.

image.thumb.png.32f1b29cf33a343812dc8865dc72a1e7.png

image.png

14 minutes ago, Giorgio Gabriel said:

As far as I can see your track n. 3 is routing to Cakewalk... (maybe TTS1?).

Try to set the output to Portable Grand instead and the midi data will go there (back to your piano).

Regards,

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio, yes I had it set to the Portable Grand, but forgot to take the screen capture when it was set to the Portable Grand, sorry for the confusion. It doesn't work under Portable Grand either.

Thanks