Output of MIDI channel not playing back to the keyboard source

Mmmm, the track manager is set to "custom". Try setting it to ALL. Now you will also see the midi channel that you are using to transmit midi data.

Try to change it (from 1 to 16).

Other suggestion: please check that into Preferences, Midi, Control Surface the "Portable Grand" is NOT enabled.

Giorgio

14 hours ago, David Baay said:

I had a quick look at the manual. The YPG-635 does have Local On/Off, but that shouldn't have any bearing on your current issue. The purpose of turning Local Control Off is so that the YPG's sound module doesn't respond directly to the keyboard (via internal 'Local' connection between the keyboard its sound module) when you just want to use the keyboard as a controller to play a soft synth in the DAW or another external sound module.. The usual way to use a keyboard synth in Cakewalk is to have a MIDI track receiving and echoing MIDI back to the keyboard and an audio track receiving and echoing the synth's audio output to monitors connected to the audio interface/soundcard of the PC. That way you have complete control over what you record and hear from within Cakewalk. Both tracks need to have the Input Echo button enabled. For the MIDI track, Cakewalk will auto-echo it by default (see Always Echo Current MIDI Track in Preferences > MIDI Playback and Recording) when it's in focus (track name highlighted).

Right offhand, I didn't see that any particular mode needs to be set to get the Yamaha's sound module to respond to external MIDI input, so if you're able to set the MIDI track's Input and Output to the Yamaha, and Input Echo is enabled, it should be working. But you should double-check the 'PC Mode' setting against the manual to make sure you've got it right.

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

Hi John,

Thank you for the video. I followed the instructions exactly. It worked great on a new project, but for some reason I can't get my previous projects that always worked before to play from out of the Yamaha Keyboard.  I am still trying to figure it out.  I think I am almost there.  I will keep you posted.  Thank you for your help and everyone's help in the forum. 

I learned a lot of other tips from this video.  I will go to Youtube and subscribe.

Frank 

• Like 1

Your welcome. Glad it helped. 

Sometimes a clear screenshot of the tracks showing the input and output dialogue helps us figure out what is happening. 

By the way if you open your screenshots in the Windows photo app which is usually the default you can quickly crop the picture. Look at the top. 

Edited by John Vere

2 hours ago, Frank DeFede said:

Hi John,

Thank you for the video. I followed the instructions exactly. It worked great on a new project, but for some reason I can't get my previous projects that always worked before to play from out of the Yamaha Keyboard.  I am still trying to figure it out.  I think I am almost there.  I will keep you posted.  Thank you for your help and everyone's help in the forum. 

I learned a lot of other tips from this video.  I will go to Youtube and subscribe.

Frank 

I think I have it working. A few more tests to be sure!  I will let you know.

Thanks

• Like 2