Duo's album stolen from Soundcloud

Absolutely fascinating article from The New York Times:

Their Songs Were Stolen by Phantom Artists

Not only is it interesting in and of itself, but I feel like the band in the article is kinda close to many of us. A couple of retired dudes who play music as a hobby, doing house parties and putting their stuff up on Soundcloud. Read the description of them and you'll probably agree that if it could happen to them, it could happen to anyone here.

It's important reading for independent artists because it details the steps they went through to remedy the situation.

There are some interesting twists to the story that I won't spoil, but I'm very interested to hear what y'all think of this.

To check their music out in a legit way:

https://soundcloud.com/davidpost-1/

^^ Totally agree.    They may have known that ..  and this was a challenge they were willing to take to verify their expertise.      

Kinda reminds me of a guy who was recently in the news under house arrest for hacking.  He was held in a motel until his trial.  He used a smart tv in the room with a fire stick in it and hacked another well known corp.   He said he'd Never stop.         They're on a mission.      ms

On 2/17/2024 at 2:57 AM, Starship Krupa said:

fascinating article from The New York Times:

I can't read it. They want me to pay to read it. 

So I missed out.

f the NYT. A3zwipes!!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

This is what I see when I click the link to read the article:

NYT1.thumb.png.e053a962d0835a44d9ecfa9d12284fb2.png

And when I try to scroll down the lower half of the page (with the payment options) comes up to block the article and gives me more options to pay and tells me about the fine print.

13 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Try this:

That worked for me. Thank you very much.

44 minutes ago, craigb said:

I made a .pdf of the article

That's a nice job you did there!! Thank you too!!

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 5:57 PM, Starship Krupa said:

The part of their saga that I liked was that both of the guys in the band are retired lawyers with specialties in copyright, and being retired, these guys will never let up. The people who ripped them off kicked the hornet's nest.

Unfortunately, a lot of the bad actors collecting the money are not even within the realm of US prosecution (you can search for state-sponsored hackers making significantly more stealing crypto-currency). Just for fun I asked someone at the USPTO many years ago now, "How many copyright infringements do you have on file against China?" and got "Way more than I could count... it is a LOT." So of course I followed up with, "And now the punchline... what legal recourse do you have to prosecute them?" and I got the deer in the headlights look back. End of conversation.

The streaming services are the enablers for the thefts (they can be gone after to a very limited extent), but they have already doled out funds they cannot recover and will fight tooth and nail not to pay twice or admit fault. Given the background of both of these guys they should have known that from the start, but they definitely know the uphill battle ahead. As much as people complain about Google data collection, realize there are similar services doing the same thing, with people on the back-end searching for ways to monetize what they are collecting.

I have stated this before, but it is always worth repeating and something to keep in mind (and be sure your children understand this). Everything published to the internet is accessible to anyone in the world, is permanent public record, and may fall into the hands of people with skewed "moral compasses."

• Like 2